We love writing about things that interest us! Below is a full list of all our blog entries we've published on this website.
- Construct 3 Mobile App Build Service now live
Announcing the mobile app build service in Construct 3, which you can try during the Newgrounds Gamejam!
- NW.js improvements in Construct 3
A round-up of all improvements made to NW.js export in Construct 3.
- It's time to Jam!
It's time to Jam!
- Good Things Come in Threes - Gamejam!
Newgrounds Game Jam - Good Things Come in Threes
- The future of the Construct 3 runtime
The next step in the evolution of Construct.
- Some bonus extras in Construct 3
A few extra new features in Construct 3 we haven't covered before.
- Construct 3 public beta now available!
It's finally here! Find out how to get started with the public beta.
- Construct 3 Gamejam with Newgrounds
Construct 3 Gamejam with Newgrounds
- The Construct 3 public beta starts March 28
Announcing the Construct 3 public beta, starting March 28!
- UI improvements in Construct 3
A range of user interface improvements that we've made in Construct 3.
- Construct 3's architecture
We've made many under-the-hood changes in Construct 3, and we talk about some of them in this post.
- Introducing Remote Preview
A new Construct 3 feature to instantly share your project globally.
- Construct's new website
A new website for the future
- Event Sheet improvements in Construct 3
What's new in the Event Sheet View in Construct 3.
- The new Image & Animation editor
What's new in Construct 3's Image and Animation editor.
- Addons in Construct 3
New features for managing addons in Construct 3.
- New editors in Construct 3
Construct 3 provides three new editors for easily and visually editing data for your games.
- Saving & loading projects in Construct 3
Using Cloud Save and other options in Construct 3.
- Integrated Web Fonts in Construct 3
Demonstrating how support for web fonts is significantly improved in Construct 3.
- Finding in Construct 3 projects
New and redesigned features in Construct 3 make it easier to review projects.
- Live previews in the Construct 3 editor
A new feature to preview plugins and behaviors directly in the editor.
- Building mobile apps in Construct 3
Announcing a Scirra-hosted mobile app building service for Construct 3.
- Construct 3 on mobile
A whole new way to use the Construct 3 editor.
- A first look at Construct 3
Lots of screenshots and more details about what's new in Construct 3!
- Announcing Construct 3
First announcement of Construct 3!
- It's beginning to look a lot like… Sale Time!
It'sbeginning to look a lot like… Sale Time!
- Let Us Promote Your Construct 2 Games!
Let Us Promote Your Construct 2 Games!
- Make a Game for AirConsole - Win $10,000 cash
- Take Your Game to the Next Level
Add Music in Minutes with Stagelight
- Creating Klang’s Art and Design in Construct
Creating Klang’s Art and Design in Construct 2
- New Faces!
Two new people added to the Scirra team!
- Announcing Xbox One export beta
Beta support for exporting your Construct 2 games to Xbox One!
- The Great HTML5 Gaming Performance Test: 2016 edition
We test a range of devices and publishing options for HTML5 games on mobile.
- Boosting iOS performance with WKWebView
Promising performance results on iOS from using the new WKWebView support in r224.
- Just how evergreen is Microsoft Edge?
Examining the rate that users update to Edge 13, and proposing a definition for evergreen.
- Level Zero - Free Construct 2 Book!
A free ebook for making your first mobile games
- Important updates about web publishing
Updates about HTTPS and OS support changes.
- Game Assets and Construct 2 Bundle Sale!
Get hefty Construct 2 discounts!
- Underground Jam Competition Winners!
Winners of our competition!
- Underground Jam Special Prize Pool
- Publish Windows 10 Store apps with Construct 2
A summary of Windows 10, the new Edge browser, and Construct 2's new export capability.
- Super Exciting New Competition!
A new game jam on Scirra, and also winners of the sale raffle announced!
- Construct 2 Sale + Raffle!
Personal Edition Sale
- Scirra Arcade reaches 1000 games
Announcing reaching a milestone on the Scirra Arcade!
- DeceptionJam Winners, Plastic Carrot awarded!
Results from the deception jam
- Construct 2 Business License Sale! 40% off!
Business license sale
- App Dash Challenge!
Win $100 USD of Scirra Store Vouchers + Construct 2 licenses!
- Scirra is Expanding
More additions to the team
- Construct 2 Game Jam - Win a plastic carrot!
Newgrounds Construct 2 Game Jam
- Say Hello to the NEW Scirra Arcade Beta
Say Hello to the NEW Scirra Arcade Beta
- Build a Game Challenge!
Amazon build a game challenge
- Scirra Store Winter Sale!
- The future of Construct
An outline of our plans on the future of Construct's development.
- Evolving Construct 2's export options
Construct 2 is moving towards Cordova-compatible platforms and deprecating non-browser wrappers.
- Browsers are not OS components
The disadvantages of OS makers shipping a browser as an OS component.
- Building welcoming and equal communities
A discussion about how inequality and hostility can affect our communities.
- Construct 2 Bundle Sale NOW ON!
Get 33% off Construct 2 when bought in our bundle sale
- HTML5 game performance on iOS 8
iOS 8 brings WebGL support and vastly improved performance, as well as to PhoneGap.
- Win a Flying Monkey!
To celebrate the launch of our new promo video
- Scirra's New 2D Royalty Free Asset Store
Launch of our new store
- 2030 Jam Competition Results
Results of our competition
- WebGL arrives on iOS 8 - and more
iOS 8 will support WebGL, as both iOS and Android see substantial improvements to the web technology available in native apps.
- Improvements with Construct 2 in Education
- The Great HTML5 Gaming Performance Test: 2014 edition
We test performance of a range of desktop and mobile devices and find that things have much improved.
- The Future: 2030
New Newgrounds game jam
- Make online multiplayer games with Construct 2
It's now possible to create low-latency real-time online multiplayer games in Construct 2!
- Common mis-used events and gotchas
Avoid these redundant event and gotchas that we find users regularly running in to.
- Scirra wins Best Game Creator award
Scirra wins Best Game Creator award
- Raffle Winners
1,000,000 download day winners
- 1 Million Downloads
We've done it! One million downloads of Construct 2!
- Multiplayer is coming
An overview of the new online multiplayer feature that is in the works.
- Construct 2 support for Wii U now available
Using Construct 2 r159 and newer, Nintendo Authorised Developers can now publish for the Wii U.
- Announcing Construct 2 support for Wii U
Announcing Construct 2 will soon be able to export games for the Wii U.
- January Sale!
January Sale 2014
- Introducing Crosswalk: the new way to publish to Android
A summary of the new export option to publish to Android.
- More about asm.js powered physics
A more in-depth description of how r153's new asm.js physics engine works.
- Construct 2 now supports tilemaps
A summary of new tilemap features now available in Construct 2.
- New features in Chrome and Firefox for Android
Chrome and Firefox for Android have gained some useful and exciting new features recently - here's a summary.
- Ideas for Construct 2's future
It's not quite a roadmap, but here are some future ideas we've been thinking about.
- Business License Sale Now Running!
35% off business licenses and upgrades
- Bitcoin Now Accepted in Scirra Store!
We now accept Bitcoin as payment
- Internet Explorer 11: WebGL and more
An overview of what's new in IE11 now that it's shipping with Windows 8.1.
- Introducing the Construct 2 Debugger and Profiler
The latest Construct 2 update introduces some powerful new tools - the debugger, and the performance profiler.
- Make money from your games!
New service offered by appBackr
- Super Ubie Land Now Available!
Our first Construct 2 game being published in the Scirra store.
- Spriter support in Construct 2
You can now use Brashmonkey Spriter modular animations in Construct 2!
- Windows 8 Summer Competition Results
The results of our Microsoft sponsored Windows 8 Summer Competition!
- Tizen App Challenge - $4m in prizes
Port your Construct 2 game to Tizen and win lots of money!
- Construct 2 Going to Education
Our move into education
- Newgrounds Touchjam Competition Results
Results for the HTML5 Construct 2 game competition on Newgrounds
- Announcing Blackberry 10 and Tizen export in free Construct 2 update
Announcing new support in Construct 2 for exporting to Blackberry 10 and Tizen, provided as a free update for all users.
- Windows 8 summer competition
Announcing a new Windows 8 store competition!
- Remember not to waste your memory
A guide on common device limitations and how to design your game within those limits.
- Spring Sale!
A sale on Construct 2
- The Near Future of the Web Platform
A summary of a few new features and developments on the horizon for HTML5 games.
- Improved Tutorial Pages
We've launched an upgraded tutorial section of the website
- Newgrounds Construct 2 Game Jam
In cooperation with Scirra, Newgrounds is running a Construct 2 touch themed gamejam!
- Boosting mobile HTML5 game performance with WebGL
WebGL is starting to gain support on mobile, where it helps give a nice performance boost just like on desktop.
- Construct 2 on Steam
A status update of Construct 2 on Steam: where we're at and what's planned.
- Windows 8 competition results
Announcing the winners of the Windows 8 competition.
- New Windows 8 game competition
Announcing a new competition for developing a game for the Windows Store, with some cool prizes!
- IE10 review: still disappointing for HTML5 games
We review IE10's technology for running HTML5 games and find its rivals are making significantly more progress.
- HTML5 games faster than native?
Interesting WebGL performance results from a hardware upgrade
- How can we content control our Arcade?
Our arcade needs some level of content control
- Announcing two new export platforms
New mobile platforms are emerging with good support for HTML5, and you'll be able to develop for them with Construct 2.
- Make Windows 8 games with Construct 2
Windows 8 is just around the corner, and there's a good case for you to submit your apps there.
- The web as the platform
The web is increasingly becoming a viable place to publish games to - even for mobile devices.
- The Difficulties of Self Publicising
Evidence showing that cheating on user submitted content sites such as HackerNews and Reddit is rife.
- WebGL shader effects in Construct 2
Some demos of the awesome new effects in Construct 2 and an overview of the technology behind them.
- Release 100 is coming 22nd August
A roundup of features coming in r100, some effect demos, and news about the price change to Construct 2.
- Favourite Features Competition Results
The results of our favourite features competition where users had to upload videos to Youtube showing off their favourite Construct 2 features.
- Interview with Ben Chong
Founder of marketJS
We interviewed Ben Chong, founder of marketJS about his startup, connecting HTML5 game developers with publishers.
- Releasing early & often -
100 releases of Construct 2
A blog post detailing the history of 100 releases of Construct 2, and our plans for the 100th release: export to mobile, desktop, and the web.
- The New Scirra Store
We've just launched a brand new store!
- New Competition - Favourite Features
We're launching a new competition where you have to create a short video showing off your favourite features in Construct 2!
- Why the UK Government wants us to Airmail 1KB Text Files by CD
- Under the hood: Spritesheets in Construct 2
Technical details of how Construct 2 assembles sprite sheets, and why it may be doing it differently to other tools.
- GameMaker has “No Competition” –
We beg to differ! HTML5's scalability
Why the multi exporter model is going out of date with the maturation of HTML5 and related technologies.
- The Great HTML5 Mobile Gaming Performance Comparison
We compare the performance of a HTML5 game running on 23 platforms.
- Driver problems? Complain to your graphics card vendor
Users having graphics card driver problems should complain to their graphics card vendors
- Optimisation: don't waste your time
Performance is an area requiring judgement and planning. Know what to go for, and when you're wasting your time.
- A new way to learn how to program
Construct 2 can help teach you how to program, given that events use traditional programming concepts.
- Avoiding Insanity with an Office
We're happy that we've moved away from our metaphorical garage into our own offices now! Moving into offices is a milestone for any startup, but it does entail some risks.
- Why Running a Startup is Like Playing Poker
Playing poker and running a startup draw some interesting parallels. Both involve calculated risk and are heavily affected by your own psychology.
- How we got over funded in just 1 week on Kickstarter
Spriter is a 2D animation tool that was over funded in just 1 week of being on Kickstarter. Edgar Muniz describes how he did it and the lessons he's learnt.
- Fullscreen HTML5 gaming experiences with Construct 2
Learn how new Construct 2 features allow you to make in-page games break out in to true fullscreen, with a demo showing how it works.
- Internet Explorer 10: "fast" and "native" has gone to other browsers
We run performance tests on the next generation crop of browsers, and find IE9 and IE10 are both falling behind.
- Rotary Competition Winners
The winners of our rotary competition are announced in this new blog post!
- Making a Fast Website
The speed of your website is very important for a variety of psychological and practical reasons. It's important time should be spent optimising your site for speed as, and we've spent a lot of time doing so.
- Introducing the Graphics Driver Updater utility
Windows users often have out of date graphics drivers, which can cause serious problems for developers. We're launching a new utility aimed at general users to help solve this problem.
- How Construct 2 helps make HTML5 work
There is a lot of discussion and debate around HTML5. Many misconceptions are often spread, and many HTML5 criticisms are fixed by Construct 2. Here's what Construct 2 users need to know.
- Scirra, AppMobi and Spring-time roadmap
Our plans for the future including In-App Purchases (IAP), cross-platform leaderboards and more!
- On The Receiving End of Link Building Campaigns
- Graphics card drivers: a lesson in software engineering
The poor reliability of graphics card drivers is a good example of the software engineering lesson: slower and reliable is better than faster and broken.
- Rotary Competition - Win some flying prizes!
The second official Construct 2 game creation competition with lots of prizes to be won! Make a rotation based game in Construct 2 for your chance to win.
- Early Adopter Period to End Soon
Our early adopter period for Construct 2 the HTML5 game maker will end soon. You have 2 weeks left to pick up a deal!
- Image compression in Construct 2
How Construct 2 helps reduce the download size of your exported projects, using various tools and tricks, as well as some image options you can set in the editor.
- Even more about audio licenses on the web
More details about the licenses for using MP3, AAC and Ogg Vorbis on the web, including the differences between using them in Flash and HTML5.
- Why you shouldn't use MP3 in your HTML5 games
MP3 is a patented technology with limits on the numbers of times you can distribute games you have made before you have to pay an expensive fee. Construct 2 doesn't support MP3 for this reason.
- How we gamified our website
Game makers love to play games as well as make them! We've tried to gamify our website to aid in feature discovery and make it more fun to be on and this blog explains our gamification strategy
- Removing Mentions/Discussion on Competitors
When running an online business one decision you may have to make is your policy on mentioning, discussing or allowing talk about competitors on your website.
- Reducing Website Spam
How to reduce spam on your website forum and also how to keep registrations up. CAPTCHAS are a bad way to prevent spammers for accessibility and usability reasons.
- Introducing the Scirra HTML5 arcade
We've just launched a free online pure-HTML5 arcade for users of Construct 2 to host their HTML5 games. Not a whiff of Flash in sight! Share and play all your games.
- Construct 2 vs GameMaker vs GameSalad vs Stencyl
Performance comparison between Construct 2, GameMaker:HTML5, GameSalad and Stencyl. Performance is crucial in game making and these charts show the fastest game maker out there.
- HTML5 2D gaming performance analysis
The performance of various 2D game renderers is analysed: Canvas 2D vs. WebGL vs. C++/DirectX.
- Our DRM/Anti-Piracy Strategy
Details our DRM and Anti Piracy strategy for Construct 2. Software piracy is a difficult and relevant issue that every startup needs to carefully consider before setting sail on the internet.
- HTML5 gaming: the future is now
With Adobe cancelling mobile Flash for HTML5 and Microsoft planning on dropping Silverlight for HTML5, the future looks bright for HTML5 - and it's great right now as well!
- Roadmap for the Winter
Where we're planning to take the Construct 2 HTML5 game creator over the next few months.
- Competition Winners
We recently ran a competition for game makers to create a space themed game. See who the winners are in this blog post!
- Construct 2's architecture
How Construct 2 exporters and plugins work, and how they tie in with the editor.
- HTML5 Game Conferences
The New Game Conference looks like a great HTML5 game conference that we at Scirra want to start attending at some point!
- Scirra accept investment
We're happy to announce we've accepted angel investment from a private individual!
- News Roundup at Scirra
The latest going ons at Scirra HQ over the last couple of weeks
- Launching Construct 2 licenses and r51
Big news today as we launch early-adopter licenses, r51 and the updated site.
- Announcing launch day: Monday 22nd August
Licenses will go on sale in a week for Construct 2, the HTML5 game maker!
- More on HTML5 audio, codecs and politics
Why we're launching the WeWantOgg.com campaign to encourage Microsoft and Apple to support Ogg Vorbis. Let's improve HTML5 audio!
- HTML5 vs Flash: why HTML5 will overtake Flash
There has been much debate over HTML5 vs Flash. This blog post describes why we believe it's almost certain Flash will be pushed to the margins by HTML5.
- On HTML5 audio formats - AAC and Ogg
HTML5 audio is a difficult problem to overcome. There are a variety of formats on offer, Ogg, Wav, MP3 and AAC. However each of these HTML5 audio formats come with their own problems and limitations.
- How Construct 2 test builds work
An overview of how testing works at Scirra, and how test builds are engineered.
- Welcome to the new website
The new Scirra website has been launched. Boasting lots of new features, and under constant active development. We welcome all feedback and suggestions!