New this build: support for appMobi's directCanvas! This accelerates Construct 2 games to native-like performance, fully using the device's graphics card. To try it, export to appMobi and select Use directCanvas in the dialog that pops up. You can also switch it to use phone browser to make it work like it did before, but performance is likely to be significantly worse. As with CocoonJS from r89 this is an early release and there are likely to be problems. We'll be working over the next few releases to make sure everything is working smoothly.
The directCanvas export is currently for iOS only, and CocoonJS currently only has an Android launcher. However, both are planning to support both platforms (appMobi are planning directCanvas for Android, and Ludei are planning CocoonJS for iOS). So hopefully once the integration is sorted there will be plenty of options to make native-performing mobile games. At last! We're a little behind on documentation, but this will be following shortly.
This is also a stable update. If you're upgrading from the last stable release r84, be sure to check the intervening changelogs to see all changes made since. This includes, in brief:
- r85 (21 changes): improved fullscreen support, PhoneGap improvements, usability improvements
- r86 (15 changes): new event features including OR blocks and Else (see Guide to Construct 2's advanced event features)
- r87 (17 changes): support for XML and JSON, and new folder-organised event dialogs
- r88 (18 changes): bug fixes and usability improvements
- r89 (15 changes): export to CocoonJS, detection of SwiftShader (Chrome's software renderer for WebGL) and falling back to canvas 2D instead
Please note there's currently a problem on PhoneGap Build: they recently updated to PhoneGap 1.7, and this seems to crash on startup for Android. This appears to be a problem with PhoneGap and I've reported to them. I'm not sure if other platforms are affected, but Windows Phone 7 doesn't appear to be. You can work around it by setting the PhoneGap version to 1.6.1 for the time being, and hopefully the issue will be resolved shortly.