1 engine, different levels

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:18 pm

so, i've been working on an engine for my game, and realised it was time to start thinking about organisation of the stages.

as cloning layouts with events is impossible, how should I organize the main control core of the game to work over different backdrops, and enemy pattern layouts?

i've searched long and hard to find a tutorial or a demo cap and haven't found anything.

thanks.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:23 pm

[quote="work3":1qzovgwy]as cloning layouts with events is impossible[/quote:1qzovgwy]
Put the game code in to a separate event sheet, and include the event sheet from layouts that use it. Then it's just one central place to edit your events.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:09 am

thanks ash.

my engine was one big layout sheet of events but I was planning on breaking it all down into smaller layouts, but it seems I can't clone a layout and then copy/paste events from other layouts to start breaking it up..
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:37 am

[quote="work3":2xafatd9]my engine was one big layout sheet of events but I was planning on breaking it all down into smaller layouts, but it seems I can't clone a layout and then copy/paste events from other layouts to start breaking it up..[/quote:2xafatd9]

Instead of breaking it down, maybe break it into groups that are all disabled, and for each layout have the groups needed enabled (eg: level 1, enable groups Platform and Shooter. level 2, enable groups Driving and Shooter)
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:44 pm

1 Level for the engine is generally a good idea though. As long as your game uses the same engine for all the levels (eg. its not a spore type game where its basically a load of different engines stuck together to make a whole game). I use groups to seperate stuff off.
B
S
G

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic