100% More Bacon

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm adding a third enemy to my game, and would love some feedback on its animation. It's a standard strength enemy, with a spider being weak, and a stag being tough.

Wild Boar:

Think he looks bulky and... piggy enough?

UPDATE - second pass: Now with snout, tail, and speed!

UPDATE - third pass: Attached the tail properly to the back, improved ear movement. Slightly altered the "bounce" in his run.

C+C very welcome, and please don't hold back if you think he could do with some improvement!

Many thanks,

-Silver--Silver-2012-10-26 10:18:37
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:23 pm

The animation looks good to me, but it's snout seems too pointy more wolf-like than pig-like.

Maybe something more like this:
Vote for all the Construct 2 games on Steam Greenlight - Find them here
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Wild Boar do have quite pointy snouts, but I agree that mine looks more like a wolf's nose than a boar's snout. Not by the shape (silhouette would look fine I think), but the colour?

B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I agree about the snout... It is slightly long. I think the only critique I could have on the animation is that the torso seems like it should move a little more vertically.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Yep, I agree with you Blight I'll be playing with hotspots to raise his torso more in-game, and give him a little more height in his jump.

I'll rework the snout and update tomorrow. I still think it's an issue with the end looking like a nose instead of a snout, rather than the length, but if people still think it doesn't look right tomorrow I'll edit the length too.

If anything, I made the snout shorter than it should be

B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Looks tasty.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 pm

[QUOTE=-Silver-]I'll rework the snout and update tomorrow. I still think it's an issue with the end looking like a nose instead of a snout, rather than the length, but if people still think it doesn't look right tomorrow I'll edit the length too.[/QUOTE] I think it is the combination of the end looking more like a nose plus the eyes. They are more or less round, but to make it look more aggressive you painted the eye more lengthy (man, that is hard to explain without using my main language, hopefully you understand it anyway). When working on the snout, why not reworking the eye area as well, just a test?

EDIT: um, where is the tail? tulamide2012-10-24 16:45:27
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:57 pm

[QUOTE=tulamide]
um, where is the tail? [/QUOTE]

Hehe. I was planning on adding the tail at the end, but wondered if it would look fine without since the tail isn't a core feature of a boar. But I guess not I'll add a tail tomorrow too.

Interesting point about the eyes, and I understand what you mean. I quite like the evil look, but you've got a good point. If it still looks odd tomorrow I'll definitely play with the eyes as well. I think they give him character at the moment but I won't mind getting rid of them if it leads to an improvement.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 pm

The running cycle looks like that of a wolf's or something similar. I imagine a boar running at full speed would look quick and goofy due to it's massive body and tiny legs...more like a trot I suppose. I think the snout could be fixed by flipping the end (nose) upwards a bit like in the pictures. Also yours looks pretty slim in comparison. Aside from that it looks pretty good :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:17 pm

[QUOTE=Tokinsom] The running cycle looks like that of a wolf's or something similar. I imagine a boar running at full speed would look quick and goofy due to it's massive body and tiny legs...more like a trot I suppose.[/QUOTE] I don't think so. While the animation could run a bit faster, a running boar doesn't look goofy. In fact it looks a lot more like -Silver- animated it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZL8x6AdS4w
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your Creations