100,000 people...playing one game of pokemon.

Discuss new games or share memories of old

Post » Sat May 24, 2014 4:12 pm

@Aphrodite: precisely!! Or something like that... I think it's pretty intruiging, the way that many players can play through a single character. It also shows how your ordinary human cannot subscribe to a very effective groupthink mindset. It works, but not that well.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I still dont know how they do to reach lvl 20 that pokemons....
sometimes i play with a friend the leage of legends game one with the keyboard and the other with the mouse and it's REEEAALLY hard to play... imagine 100.000 guys...
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 25, 2014 5:30 am

@katzin
Well Pokemon is an easy grind. Facing any low levels is not difficult. Combine that with the fact it was running 24/7, it's not that surprising to me.

LoL would be significantly more difficult because it's not a game limited by a whole 10 controls (arrow buttons, start/pause, L/R, and a/b) like GBA games, and would require somehow averaging coordinates since controlling characters is primarily done through clicking a space on the screen, not to mention selection of enemies, items, and abilities.

The thing is, any real-time game would be a difficult undertaking to crowd-control, but turn-based grid-movement games are not that difficult, and are simple to trial-and-error your way through without requiring to-the-second reflexes like most all MOBAs.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 26, 2014 9:23 am

I think this shows that there is a large audience for games involving simple voting (eg: Nintendo's old "everybody votes" from the Wii, 1 Vs 100 from Xbox 360...).

Even if applied to a regular game like Pokemon, the audience splits into groups and tries to push for their ideals. I almost want to say it's a society simulation tool more than a game. I imagine that many more games could be created like this, the input improved so that the game input commands can be separated from the regular chat messages. It's kind of like being able to control what your sports team is doing from the crowd during a match, and I think it also reinforces the idea that every single person makes a difference.

Although, it was originally started as a "I wonder if anyone would like this" I'm sure :D
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:08 pm

As a "social scientist" I find this an extremely interesting experiment in social self-organization, but even more than the (indeed amazing) achievement of completing a game with this method, what I find most awesome is the mythology, the narratives that the community created out sheer chaos.

I mean, Pidgeot as "Bird Jesus", what's not to love?
B

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:25 pm

Still a good idea
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Discussions