[135] overlap object not working correctly

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Make 2 objects with 64x64 and with collision box around the whole area for example and add an event that when one overlap the other one they will be destroyed.

This event is triggering even when they are side to side with each other... like one is on coordinate 0,64 and the other one is 0,128 and still the event is triggering while from what I understand to make it trigger the object location should be 'inside' the other object.

• Closing, this is by design. (Please also follow the bug report guidelines and provide a .capx with every report; if I didn't immediately know this was by design, I'd have still closed it without investigating for failing to follow the report guidelines)

• Closing, this is by design. (Please also follow the bug report guidelines and provide a .capx with every report; if I didn't immediately know this was by design, I'd have still closed it without investigating for failing to follow the report guidelines)

Hey Ashley thanks for the reply, I'll start to follow the guidelines in the future.. about the subject:

But the object isn't overlapping, that's the name of the condition, it's supposed to active while overlapping. If you don't want to fix because of design choice u could change the function name or a better idea, change it's currently name to something different(like is in touch with another object for example) and make a real overlap condition.

• I don't think it's as obvious as you say. If the edges of two objects are at exactly the same position, do they overlap? It depends on where you say the object ends - does it end just before its edges, or does it include its edges? Unfortunately we can't change it, mainly because the Platform behavior heavily depends on this.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't think it's as obvious as you say. If the edges of two objects are at exactly the same position, do they overlap? It depends on where you say the object ends - does it end just before its edges, or does it include its edges? Unfortunately we can't change it, mainly because the Platform behavior heavily depends on this.

I understand that for reasons you know better than anyone it can't be changed but I'm just adding my point of view, if an object with the size 20x20 is located in the coordinate 0,0 and another object with the same size 20x20 located in coordinate 20,0 then they are side by side, they are touching each other, it's like touching a finger with another one, they do not overlap, but if the second object is located in coordinate 0,19 then it's already overlapping by 1 pixel.

You said you can't change it, but can you make a new condition that 'truly' act if an object overlap another one and keep the old condition the way it is right now and maybe change his name?

I really have no idea if that would be hard to make, maybe add in the future that feature? I think this would be very useful for more possibilities in a easier way.

Thanks

• It could also be argued that they are overlapping. The right edge of the left object is at X = 20. The left edge of the right object is also at X=20. Therefore their edges are at the same position, which makes them overlap.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)