2.5D platform

Forum for plugin, effect and behavior programmers. Please use the Help & Support forum for help using Construct.

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:07 am

Hahaha I'm sorry!
Stupid 2.5d/isometric games looking so cool but being so uncreatable! :(
I'm determined to try and beat this though. I'm thinking of trying that whole 'if statement within an expression' type thing.
If only there was a oldschool software developer lurking on the forums somewhere that knew isometric code like the back of his hand.... *tries to lure oldschool software developer out of hiding*
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 pm

So while I was snooping around the net for any kind of answer to my sorting problem, I read an article that said one of the best ways to do it is with a double linked list or something.
Now I am just an average guy, what the hell is a double linked list?! lol, I tried reading about it on wiki but it was obviously written by someone a lot smarter than me.
Long question short, does anyone here know if a double linked list would be the answer to this sorting problem and if it's even possible in construct?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 pm

A doubly linked list is a programming structure. You won't be able to make an equivalent in events - Construct hides all those details from you.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Double linked? It wraps both ways - the start and the end are basically connected, if you go over the end, you end up at the start, if you go back from the start, again you find yourself at the end of list.

At least so I believe.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:54 pm

[quote="Mipey":190ahzjn]Double linked? It wraps both ways - the start and the end are basically connected, if you go over the end, you end up at the start, if you go back from the start, again you find yourself at the end of list.[/quote:190ahzjn]
No, that's a circularly linked list. A doubly linked list, in programming, means each element holds a pointer to both the next and previous elements in the list, so you can travel either way.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Ah, my bad. .prev and .next stuff, then...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:36 pm

[quote="Ashley":cuxu7w4i]A doubly linked list is a programming structure. You won't be able to make an equivalent in events - Construct hides all those details from you.[/quote:cuxu7w4i]
Aw drag. Will we ever find a solution I wonder?..... :(
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:23 am

you can go around double-linked lists using an array.
Can you link to this article? I'd like to see what they need that for.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:54 am

This isn't the same webpage I found it on, but it IS the same article ;)

[url:2zbk4zc8]http://www.cpp-home.com/tutorials/47_1.htm[/url:2zbk4zc8]

Unfortunately, just as he's getting to the good stuff, he just kinda stops?
Looks imcomplete to me, that's why I asked on the forums here, in case anybody knew if it would help.

P.S. Someone is gonna have to fill me in on arrays and hash tables or whatever they're called, they sound like they could be quite useful but I have no idea how to use them or what situation they'd be good for, but please Arcticus, STAY ON TOPIC!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:19 am

Hm. I woudln't guide myself by that article. All that it explains in detail is how to do a tiled background scoll, and skims over all the important parts. Maybe they're detailed in other parts but anyway. You don't need any of that in Construct, as that structure is meant to organize objects and Construct already does that for you.

BTW I got a new sorting method and it's looking good so far. Got to do some more tests.
[url:19zu6wbq]http://octavoarte.cl/25d_concept.exe[/url:19zu6wbq]

By now I should edit the first post and put this URL there, as I've been updating the same exe for a while already.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct engineering