2.5D platform

Forum for plugin, effect and behavior programmers. Please use the Help & Support forum for help using Construct.

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 am

Yes please please please tell me how you did it :D it looks great, and as I mentioned in my fail thread, I have NO idea how you did the slopes/ramps, they're next on my list :D :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:46 pm

I just sort by the distance of the front bottom edge of each object towards the origin of the scene.

Slopes don't get sorted right and I'm unsure they ever will. Maybe I should just ditch them. Slope movement is achieved by changing the evaluated height (w) of a platform by the distance from the platform hotspot (dx) multiplicated by a slope factor (dwdx), so w=dx * dwdx

Since I'm rather happy with the sorting now (not perfect but works for certain object sizes), I added some other stuff. Jump is now uncontrollable on air, I guess this should be a toggle. There's a moving platform and the bridge pieces accelerate upwards while you're standing on them.
All of this is to show what can be done here =)

Same file location as always. [url:3mn4b0g0]http://octavoarte.cl/25d_concept.exe[/url:3mn4b0g0]
Make sure to refresh your browser cache if you seem to be getting an old file.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:58 am

The one thing that makes this really hard to use is there's no visual cues for distance. Would it be hard to make the character get smaller as he goes further away?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:18 am

not hard but it would break almost everything, I think.

I guess I should give it a try, even though proper shadows (not the hack presented here) would give a proper depth cue, and the demo is much more controllable when you can change direction and speed mid-air.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:56 am

Im loving those floating platforms!
I managed to get them all going at the same time, and hopping between them, I managed to get pretty high in the air :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 am

[quote="deadeye":2f9ukni3]Oh Jesus I gotta stop clicking on this thread.
II'll be up until 5am every night tearing my goddamned eyes out because it should be easy to do but it's NOT, IT'S THE MOST #$*&# DIFFICULT THING IN THE WORLD WHY WHY WHY :cry: P[/quote:2f9ukni3]\

ROFL
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:45 am

lol

hey I've updated the demo. I tried to add some stuff (like showing if the character is climbing on a platform or just standing on it) but everything made it unstable, so I'm thinking this is it (except for shadows, which should be much easier to do in C++).

same link as always, this is more of a stability test so I added a bunch of moving stuff that intersects and another spiral and blablah. Looks pretty stable to me =)

Slopes still don't sort right and my guess is they just can't be big at all. Nothing can be too big anyway, so there. World made out of roughly player-sized bits. Like old-school iso, blocks.
Take a look. Moving platforms work instantly as long as you change their speed instead of their position (on all axis).

http://octavoarte.cl/25d_concept.exe
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:26 am

Hah! I like how you can ride around on the moving pillars. Very interesting setup.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:54 pm

The link doesn't work for me, can't download it. Could you please upload it somewhere else
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:59 am

[url:8jlta4ga]http://www.udec.cl/~jfuente_alba/25d_concept.exe[/url:8jlta4ga]
try this one. I haven't worked on this in ages.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct engineering