2D Lighting system (canvas2D)

For developers using the Construct 2 Javascript SDK

Post » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:17 pm

[QUOTE=DoudouSupreme] 2D lighting in webgl would be awesome! I'll follow your progress closely :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I will keep this thread updated. I also have a rather elaborate prototype due in the next 2 weeks, so I won't be updating this soon.

The current system works IF you use separate layers for the lights (because of the source-out drawing). The performance of canvas2D rendering this way instead of clip() makes for less performance, though I tested about 6 lights and it worked fine. There is some drop in frame-rate.

Node-webkit export does have major performance issues with this method.

My best option is to implement a WebGL version, since this would increase performance and will probably have more efficient image manipulation tools available.

If interested I will post the Canvas2D version with a tutorial on how to use it, for testing purposes.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:58 pm

That's great! I'd love to try the the Canvas version to see what it could look like.

I'm currently trying to make a 2D stealth game and 2D lighting is essential. I tried using the plugin Canvas but the framerate was too low so I just gave up. If you check my blog (see signature), you will see what the game is going to look like.

I have been waiting for a webgl solution for months so I really hope you'll succeed :)DoudouSupreme2013-10-19 19:30:49
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:18 pm

I'd be really interested in a WebGL implementation too.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:04 pm

My support to the claim too!

Currently I'm learning C# and using Unity / Blender, to be able to use 3D light effects over sprites, but would be awesome to have it on C2.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:15 pm

webgl implementation will be a dream *-*
great job ^^
you have my full approvation e support ^^
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Javascript SDK