2D Perspective Transform

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 am

shinkan: well yes, it wont give 3D look nor depth to the sprite itself. The sprite would be 3d prerender top down. Then 3D illusion comes from the environmental which gives an illusion that the playfield is 3D like isometric games; whereelse in Isometric games one would need to pre-render all angles of the 3D sprite. It wont be perfect, but it could look good. An example of what I did and researched was using Sins of Solar empire captured top down spaceship and using Photoshop to create the 36 sprites of 2D perspective transformed. Indeed it did look good :) Well everybody wants to make game easily, and 3D is rather complex that's why Gamemaker and Construct is focusing on 2D. I was just thinking a way to make my game a little of 3D easily. Anyway, I hope the option is given a bit of consideration. Just a request from my side.
B
G

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:55 am

can you post an image of that example
[quote:18p2omyt]"...Sins of Solar empire captured top down spaceship and using Photoshop to create the 36 sprites of 2D perspective transformed."[/quote:18p2omyt] ?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Sins of a Solar Empire was a 3d game as far as I know. I looked at a gameplay video and you can rotate around in 3d space... This indicates that it is more than likely a 3d game because it wouldn't make much sense to render out a whole bunch of sprites and transform them by hand when you could just do a 3d model and plop it in the engine and let the camera do the rest.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 pm

maybe the game was too much for his PC and rendered only 36 frames per camera's full circle, you know that feeling? ;)

jokes aside, you didn't understand the guy, he did a print screen on a space ship from the game and made 36 rotaded frames for his own creation.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:03 am

We tried moving the vertices along the x and y axis to achieve a perspective effect, but the texture co-ordinates mess up and you get a kind of tearing. There might be a way to do it using the texture transformation matrix...or perhaps it can be done by changing the projection matrix to a perspective projection (how 3d box is rendered) and rendering the object on an angle... either way its something that requires some time to investigate, and we are more keen on getting construct to 1.0 at the moment. Perhaps as a comprimise, a shader could be written that applies perspective?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:29 am

Wouldn't 3d mesh support make all this pointless?
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 pm

The way I see it, people want a 2D perspective transform, so they can make 3D things. Construct is not a 3D tool and if you want to make something 3D, an object like 3D box is way more intuitive than stitching together perspective-transformed sprites. Therefore, I do not see a reason this should be implemented.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:59 pm

David: Thanks for trying, I'll see what algorithm suits the transformation. I agree to focus on the 1.0 release. It's just a request I like to see. Nothing hurry. thx
Ashley: Thanks for the thought. I will try to utilize 3D box better. I've seen some posts regarding Construct is 2D and not 3D. I just thought my idea would be a simple option for people to have 3D illusion using Construct. While Gamemaker has the more advanced 3D features, why not put a simple sprite transform in Construct? It's not urgent tho.

Well I guess that concludes my request... Perhaps I could get someone to do plugins instead :)

Thanks....... cant wait for Construct!
B
G

Post » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:17 am

Keep Construct 2D! its what it's geared towards. Focus! you want 3D, you get a 3D system.

*ahem* Also, starcraft had no 3D or perspective effects.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Madster: Yea I guess 2D it is :) I was just gotten a bit excited of the possibility of simple 3D as there is a 3D box in Construct. There are even tech demos on the usage of the 3D box to give appearance of 3D. Just a bit confused and curious as my initial request is not geared toward full 3D implementation. Come to think of it, if I hadn't said it was gonnia be used as 3D illusions, would it be more of feature request...? haha. I think this topic was wrongly understood as request to have 3D implementation or tools where it is not nor my intentions; hence my title.

Think of it like image processing... rotation, skew, bump mapping... etc ..
I believe once you see what I'd been doin with my project, you'll like. One sprite to rule them all ... ! :P jst kiddin haha..
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion