2d platformers and various ways to make them

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Colludium wrote:Thanks for your post, @Ruskul. I have also been frustrated by the limitations of the platform and physics behaviours - and I never understood why your simple modifications to the box2d plugin were not implemented. Thanks to your post here I have decided to try to create my own platform behaviour - to compare performance / to enable collision filtering etc (using the raycasting plugin). I've also started (slowly) learning C#.... just in case lol....

Well, who knows if those modifications wouldn't break some projects, or needed a better ui (like with edge shapes). I know Ashley strives very hard to keep things clean and user friendly. The strong emphasis on beginner and beginner ease can often mean compromises when it comes to more advanced features. I thought physics was going to get an update, but I think not enough people want it to justify it.

I know getting going with c2 is amazingly simple and intuitive most of the time. Unity as a comparison can be quite frustrating. The frustration comes due to lack of concise documentation and a large and at times overwhelming library of built in calls, and things you need to know. C2's frustration sets in after you start doing larger scale projects or need to implement functionality that isn't there out of the box.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:11 pm

ruskul wrote:I keep meaning to edit the original post to give more info on how to actually achieve it.- though I should probably do this in a tutorial series.

A tutorial would be great on this topic.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 pm

glerikud wrote:A tutorial would be great on this topic.

Working on it!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:06 pm

@ruskul Yes, I would like to replicate simple NES platform movement (Mario, Kirby, Megaman ... etc). A tutorial to show the basics would be great :)

Eventually I would like to go for something more advanced like Dust: An Elysian Tail, Megaman ZX, Touhou Tempest of Heaven and Earth or Rayman Origins (these probably use raycast).
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/902/li ... raycasting
plugin-jcw-trace-raycast_t172320
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:46 am

Wow, this is pretty cool! I've always thought collisions would be really difficult, but your explanation makes it sound easy (or at least possible), and in a variety of ways!
Eh, Steve!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Interesting topic, ;-)
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General