2d Ragdoll marionette??

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Yeah basically like that, you can even use physics on the control points. Note this is less like what most people would call ragdoll, and more marionette in that its just like weights on strings, or chains.
For a ragdoll I guess you wouldn't wont to use physics much at all.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:41 pm

[quote="newt":1iualr1c]For a ragdoll I guess you wouldn't wont to use physics much at all.[/quote:1iualr1c]
uhh wut?

When I think "ragdoll" the first thing I think of is physics. How else would it tumble around realistically?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Ok, so things seem to be getting a little too technical in this convo for me now...so I thought I should try and clarrify what it is I am trying to do exactly...

As you can see in the image, I have a hopeful character awaiting puppet control.

My aim:
move the body using the mouse (easy to do I know)
as the body moves ridgidly, the head flops from side to side depending on the force, dirrection etc. But the head doesnt roll all the way round so it is up-side-down.
Then the hands are also flopping about as if there are arms.

My main issue is that ...well...there are heaps of issues.
Nothing seems to be working

Im hoping this image and explaination helps...Im also hoping someone out there in Construct land can shed some light on how I can do this....if it is possible.

Thanx in advance
B
G

Post » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:51 pm

You might be able to do something like this:

Create two rigs, one for the skeleton, and one for the constraints (you can create the constraint rig out of one object by using the Custom mask feature in physics). The model itself will have no physics behavior at all, it's parts will simply be set to the x, y, and angle of each of the appropriate skeleton pieces. The rigs and the colliders will all have physics on them.

Hinge some colliders at the extremities so the movement of the skeleton is limited by the constraint rig. Physics behavior in Construct has an option to disable collisions between certain objects with an action, so you will disable collisions between the skeleton rig and the constraint rig so that they're not fighting each other. Only the colliders will be affected by the constraint rig, and they will keep the skeleton from moving too far.

I haven't tried anything like this myself, but I'm quite sure that with some tweaking it would work.

As for the mouse movement, I'm sure I have an example of how to blend mouse and physics around here somewhere... I'll have a look.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanx heaps, I thought there would be a simple answer to it...
yesterday, I worked on a "non physics" version of the puppet...tricking the events so that it seems to have physics..it works well and seems very reliable.
I will post it up here. How do you post a cap.?

I will have a go at creating a physics one based on your great suggestion!
Thanx again
B
G

Post » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:58 pm

post a cap just by uploading it to something like dropbox
http://www.getdropbox.com/
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:22 am

Hey, Ive been toying with the physics concept and it looks like it is a no go.
I can get it to work fine whilst everything is stationary, but once I incorporate user control to the puppets body, the physics effected parts go nuts.
Perhaps I stick to the simpler -non physics version. I really do appreciate everyones help, but I cant seem to get the puppet physics to work when the user moves the body.
B
G

Post » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Try this method for moving the puppet body around:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/529356/dragandtoss.cap

That should be compatible with physics. Well, actually, it is compatible with physics, because it only uses physics and doesn't try to incorporate Mouse Behavior or anything like that.

You could easily make it so that the body is always "attached" to the mouse cursor, rather than just the drag&drop method shown here. Just do:

[code:1y7eraww]
+ Always
-> Body: Physics: Set velocity to (mouseX - body.X, mouseY - body.Y)
[/code:1y7eraww]
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:17 am

Thanx for the help!
Ive decided to stick with the non-physics version though. It is much simpler to create and way more reliable. Sorry to waste your time. Was great fun experimenting with the ideas tho.
B
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic