2D vs 3D

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:45 am

I have a lumia icon, and handles any game i install with ease, 3ds run super smoothly, but the only 3d games i like are the halo series. Honestly most of the games i ppay and enjoy are 2ds, I agree with many here that 2ds feel moreively than 3d, at least on mobile devices, which is the area i wanna focus on to make my games and apps
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:14 pm

I have several mobile devices (phones, tablets) and there is no (3D) game lagging on them.

Btw, check out the Lego games. Some of them are in 2D and some in 3D.
All with a very very good quality.

I also liked a lot Monument Valley (would be difficult to build in 2D I guess).

Personally, I love racing games with a perspective view like super Off-road or power-drive.
Those games were made in 2D and have this pixelArt charm, but I'm not sure that an editor would do such a game in 2D nowadays.

Also, to me, it looks like having a perspective view always gives a plus compared to flat graphics.

Ouais
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 am

@RedBlackSpade
I paint (acrylics and oil) also do illustrations. And job wise I'm Lead Character Artist in a video game company in Montreal. I'm 38 so I've seen the development of video games.
And I love pixel art, hence why my current project is using this style. But I don't agree with you. A lot of 3D games are quite beautiful. A good exemple for mw is Bloodborne:
Not the most technically advanced game (they use a heavily modified version of Phyre engine which is Sony's proprietary engine), and Autodesk Beast light solution. So technically their specs are closer to any Unity's game and yet, it shines! ambiance wise, and overall mood is simply perfect.

It takes a lot to convey something like that.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:32 pm

I prefered the 2D Games. Never end the 2D adventure games' life :D
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:54 am

2d vs 3d is really a matter of what your project calls for, your vision for the concept. In some ways 2d can take less resources on the dev side. In 3d you need to take into account a lot of shader programming, bitmap lighting, etc. Some of those will come into big play in 2d projects just a different scale. Just a lot to consider on the resources side.
B

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:03 am

I used to play 2D games when I was a kid, because most of the games were 2D that time. I saw the 3D boom, how it become popular and how people even thought 2D games were dead.

Speaking of aristic approach, 3D with 'photorealistic textures' are still far from perfection, but there're some games made with stylish cartoonish look, and they are visually appealing even when they get technically old. Compare, say, Unreal Tournament 3 and Borderlands series - both games use the same engine (UT3), but UT3 now look a bit dated, while Borderlands remains stylish and sweet.

On technical side, modern 2D games made in HD can look very artistic and beautiful, so they don't have to have big pixels everywhere. This somehow blurs the visual difference between 2D and 3D, and the 3rd dimension becomes more a design element, than the 'must have feature'. Look at many fighting games, which use 3D models while being actually 2D gameplay-wise.

When I desided to finally try game making myself, I gave it some thoughts about 3D/2D and engine. To me, the most important thing was the ability to create game graphics myself in reasonable time, and, another important thing, the game shall run on every platform, be it a laptop, or tablet, or even phone. So, the answer was 2D HTML5 game.
B

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas