3 things I'd like to see in future programs

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Deleted.MaxMan7772012-08-28 20:35:30
B
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:31 pm

Interesting ideas, just to add my comments...

[quote="MaxMan777":23llzzmp]1. A Web-style creation system with simple-to-program randomization ... randomly display characters, or numbers ... all much simpler than it is now[/quote:23llzzmp]
I don't understand your point about randomness. The random() expression gives you a random number. You can use that to jump to random layouts, display random numbers, make random events happen, etc. What are you asking for to be different here?

[quote:23llzzmp][b]2. Sports-friendly creation algorithms
... engines built to accommodate shooters and platformers[/quote:23llzzmp]
Nothing about Construct is specifically tailored to specific games - it's probably the built in behaviors that gave you this impression. If you like, you could develop (or hire someone to develop) sport-friendly behaviors via the C++ behavior SDK. Construct itself is aimed at creating any kind of 2D game, so features are necessarily generalised so they can be applied to as many kinds of game as possible.

[quote:23llzzmp]3. A Template system[/quote:23llzzmp]
You can select File - new template/example since we planned a system just like this, but there aren't many that ship with Construct. I'm open to community submissions for the templates dialog.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:22 pm

Deleted.MaxMan7772012-08-28 20:35:52
B
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:43 pm

You could do that though MaxMan777. You could create the underlying template yourself, submit it to the devs and I'm sure if it works fine, they'll probably include it with the other templates.

That's the closest you're going to get though, because I don't see there ever being some "American Football" behavior or object. Firstly one isn't required, secondly a lot of people wouldn't want it or use it, thirdly, such a thing will simply spawn a great deal of very specific games. The current behaviors are generally pretty open for use in different ways. But what you're asking for is too specific for a behavior itself (and a whole bunch of behaviors that aren't much use to anyone outside very specific single type of sports game will be annoying).

It sounds like what you're actually looking for is a ready made game that you can mod yourself, rather than make your own game. Can't you mod any of the games out there now, or is EA still making modding difficult for their games?

Also, even with all the rules of football, it doesn't strike me as all that complicated to make in construct right now. And I'm the first who'll jump in on a chance to prove construct can't do something, but this would be easy for it. Someone recently posted a cap they are working on with controls that could be used for some kind of ball passing movement. Player controls could be selected by distance to the ball without any problems. Scrolling is very simple to setup. Really, if I think something is easy in construct then it must be.

As for your choose your own adventure thing. You could make one of those insanely easily with just HTML and a tiny bit of PHP (the php for storing stats, inventory etc). Or make simpler versions using Mediawiki. If you're instead thinking about text adventures like Zork or The Hobbit. Then you're looking at text parsers, which construct can do quite easily too (I've spent time looking into this previously, as personal interest myself) or can be done online, again with PHP which has no trouble at all parsing strings.

I really don't follow this web thing you're after though. Are you instead talking about WYSIWYG? Construct already is. This web thing though, construct isn't a web page builder. It can GET and PUT files onto the net, update and change external files, but that's about it as far as web stuff goes. Though it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility to make a html editor with construct.

And I'm with Ashley on the random expression thing being incredibly useful. I've come up with all kinds of crazy things in PHP using mt_rand() that you wouldn't think random numbers would be used for.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 pm

analog joysticks are as simple as can be, they return the x value and y value for the stick. which you can get the directional angle by using angle(0,0,joystickX,joystickY). the value joyx/joyy returns is simply any decimal number from and including -1 to +1. your getting everything you need and its as intuitive and simple as it can be while still offering complete control. you just need to play around with it more to get to know how to use it and ways to solve your problems with it as you use it. dont dismiss things without completely understanding what it is they can do, thats just a little bit ignorant. its like saying "math isnt good because i cant see how many apples i have in both baskets added together" its simply your lack of experience holding you back, so go get some :D

as for sports games needing to have many roudabouts to be made, thats not true. anything you try to make is gonna prove to have some difficulties. try setting up a boss in a platform game for instance. to give it seperate attack patterns that activate as time goes on and at random, your gonna have to do a lot of stuff that isnt simple. but if you think about how you could do it, its seems pretty clear after a while what exactly you have to do, and how you can build it with the hammer, wood, and nails construct gives you. this goes for anything your trying to make.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:33 pm

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":3rdm6p36]analog joysticks are as simple as can be, they return the x value and y value for the stick. which you can get the directional angle by using angle(0,0,joystickX,joystickY). the value joyx/joyy returns is simply any decimal number from and including -1 to +1. your getting everything you need and its as intuitive and simple as it can be while still offering complete control.[/quote:3rdm6p36]

Mini-thread hijack - You got me wondering, does construct accept the analog input of the XBox 360 left and right triggers too, or are those just seen as on or off?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Deleted.MaxMan7772012-08-28 20:36:19
B
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:58 pm

One reason you might not see any templates for sports games is that sports games are rather complex. The template itself would be a rather complex thing to make. And the more complex something is, the harder it is to modify to your own tastes. If you were to just throw in your own graphics and sounds, it would be readily apparent that you're just using "Template #6: Football" or whatever. You'd have to work a whole lot just to "make it your own," so to speak.

The reason you see templates for platformers and overhead shooters and such is that those are relatively simple games in comparison. Easy to make, and easy to mod. Well, easier anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Deleted.MaxMan7772012-08-28 20:36:59
B
G

Post » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:13 pm

Deleted.MaxMan7772012-08-28 20:37:10
B
G

Next