3 years have passed, not much have changed

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:37 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:I think the most of the performance issues could be solved by offering us methods to load/unload assets & layouts at will and not just automatically by the engine itself.
In my opinion C2's current "dictatorship" with next to no control about the things mentioned above is a big mistake and I really hope, no I count on C3 to finally bring the right changes to this part of the engine.

Personally this is a key selling point for me and I honestly wouldn't consider purchasing C3, if it doesn't deliver any improvements for this.
Just as a side note, I think that C2 is currently the only game engine on the market that doesn't offer features like this.
(Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

I think it's due to a browser limitation. This has been requested many times and I really hope that this will be a thing in C3. I know that most projects won't need it, but there are some which do. Having a good automatic method to load/unload assets is a great thing, but having more control is always good. I also think that it would attract more developers.

Ninjadoodle wrote:I personally fully support Scirra in sticking to their guns (HTML5), focusing on whats important, and do it well (like they have been doing).

I can't agree more.

C2 has made some significant improvements in the past years (like Ashley listed them). I love the software, it's a pleasure to work and teach with it. I have to admit, I haven't gotten into iOS development yet, but I can't see any performance related problems in my projects on both PC and Android.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:02 pm

Hello,
well, I saw performance problems in my first project, was a finger game, platform jump, infinity jump.
What I did:
Every time that one platform goes off screen {destroy, call function new platform on top}
Inside the function had one var to save the random for the next platform and create.
I made all using 720p size and graphic but with 3Mb of size I feel that it was not running smooth, like changing FPS every time, I have been debugging and was all "normal".
Even using "tops" smartphones was not smooth.

But... is just one create sprite.. really simple.
What about if I would like to make something complex...
"Hello my friend stay a while and listen"
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:15 pm

glerikud wrote:I think it's due to a browser limitation. This has been requested many times and I really hope that this will be a thing in C3. I know that most projects won't need it, but there are some which do. Having a good automatic method to load/unload assets is a great thing, but having more control is always good. I also think that it would attract more developers.

I honestly doubt that the browser vendors are at fault here, as far as I know other engines which also use HTML5 as their back-end, already have systems for advanced memory management. I'd rather think that this is something related to C2 not being capable of doing it.

We never really got a set in stone answer for this one I think.
I believe that Ashley once said something about unloading audio (?) from memory, either way my hopes towards the implementation of a system like this for C2 are pretty low.

I just wanted to point out that there is nothing wrong with the current system, It's just that some advanced (or mobile) games tend to suffer from performance issues and I think that this might be a good workaround.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:23 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:I honestly doubt that the browser vendors are at fault here, as far as I know other engines which also use HTML5 as their back-end, already have systems for advanced memory management. I'd rather think that this is something related to C2 not being capable of doing it.

We never really got a set in stone answer for this one I think.
I believe that Ashley once said something about unloading audio (?) from memory, either way my hopes towards the implementation of a system like this for C2 are pretty low.

I just wanted to point out that there is nothing wrong with the current system, It's just that some advanced (or mobile) games tend to suffer from performance issues and I think that this might be a good workaround.

I sincerely hope that you are right and nothing prevents Scirra to implement this feature. As I said it was requested by many developers in numerous topics and it's also one of my most anticipated features. But I don't want to turn this topic into a "C3 feature request" topic.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:30 pm

glerikud wrote:I sincerely hope that you are right and nothing prevents Scirra to implement this feature. As I said it was requested by many developers in numerous topics and it's also one of my most anticipated features. But I don't want to turn this topic into a "C3 feature request" topic.

Yep, sorry that I did drift away from the main topic for a bit.

To provide something usefull, HERE are all the other updates and enhancements that C2 got over the last 3 years.
Quite a lot of improvements but there is still a lot of room for future performance updates in my opinion.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Just picking up on an earlier issue about ios playback of audio needing a touch to start. To get round this add your audio track as a "Sound" rather than "Music" and it will autoplay on startup without needing a touch. Exported via Visual Studio TACO to .ipa. Works just fine on my iphone 5s ios 10 and ipad mini 1 ios 9. Seems ok with full music tracks, also cures the same problem on android.
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Ninjadoodle wrote:I've tried multiple visual editors that offer HTML5 and Native (eg Stencyl, MMF2.5, Godot etc.) and I find that none of them do everything well.

Stencyl is hardly a product that provides a fair comparison.
It's like taking a Lamborghini, comparing it to a Datson 720, and then proclaiming the Lam to be the best sport's car ever.

A fair evaluation is judging the product against it's true competitors (Gamemaker, etc).
(FTR: Both YOYO Games and their product is too unfriendly for my liking)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General