3D Construct

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:03 pm

As far as a 3D model object would work - it's possible but would be mostly limited to 2D (ie. only 2D collisions etc, moving it away or toward the camera would have the same effect as with 3D Box where the collision area does not change). But also not before 1.0, as there are too many other things to do.

3D won't come with SDL.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:14 am

I'd really like a 3D game maker in this style too, but I'm not sure how I would like it. I know the Source SDK inside out and would like an editor like that, but I know it would be far too complex and possibly too limited for this sort of program (It does make sense if you read it enough times).

I think a 3D game maker like this is way over due. I love The Games Factory, but since that came out they haven't really done much to it. If only a 3D maker could have come out in 2000 or so. We could have competed against games coming out at that time!

My dream program is a 3D game maker and I'd be pleased with anything you make to enable this dream, no matter how limited. Until then I'll just make a 2D game.
B
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:45 am

[quote:2gyysju8]We could have competed against games coming out at that time![/quote:2gyysju8]

Interesting point - millions of dollars and whole production teams including directors and writers go in to modern games these days. Making a 3D game creator that could compare in any way whatsoever with something like Crysis (which is amazing, btw) is simply impossible from a resources point of view. On the other hand, in something like Construct, once finished I aim for it to be possible for an indie gamer to rival the top 2D games.

This isn't the only reason I hesitate to move further in to 3D - it's a nice rosy idea that it could one day be possible to make impressive 3D first person shooters as easily and flexibly as Construct - but there are significant or even prohibitive technical and design challenges to get around. It's simply out of scope right now.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:15 am

curious, how much, in relation to 3d, can Construct potentially support without 3d being Constructs main focus?

animations could actually be a lot easier if it were possible to import 3d models into Construct and have the various animations/nodes bound to user specified animation branches (in the animation tree? :P)

just an idea
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:52 am

[quote="Ashley":1bvpcbqa]

This isn't the only reason I hesitate to move further in to 3D - it's a nice rosy idea that it could one day be possible to make impressive 3D first person shooters as easily and flexibly as Construct - but there are significant or even prohibitive technical and design challenges to get around. It's simply out of scope right now.[/quote:1bvpcbqa]

Out of scope?

http://www.fpscreatorx10.com/

Looks pretty darn competative to me. DX10 and all.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 am

Jeswen, my idea of a 3D gamemaker it's quite different from FPS Creator.

My idea is about using 3D models instead of sprites, and make levels out of 3d models, wich are to be placed somewhere in the actual frame editor, wich will turn into a placement editor.

All the rest however stills as is now, with the event editor and so.
Even better if the developer could add 2D stuff like a HUD on top of it.

My idea: 1) model some interiors 2) place them in the frame editor 3) edit events and make up the game

however, various components are required, like: water, skybox, skeletal animations, and so...

Bye, Berserk.
B
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:17 am

@berserk: I was responding more to the fact that Ashley seems to think it would be too much of a stretch to have a 3D WYSIWYG program that can compete visually and otherwise, with modern games.

FPSC X10 is ample proof of such a concept.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:21 am

I don't see Ashley saying it was impossible for anyone.. one programmer can only do so much and to create a modeller, a WYSIWYG 3D editor and then tie it in with the ease of the collision system, effects and everything Construct has is asking years of development in ground that he probably hasn't worked in before.

Not to mention the huge library of 3D objects and artists they have at their disposal. I doubt the majority of Construct users have the talent to create them!

To me it seems Construct should continue with Direct-X/OpenGL and gradually add more 3D features, if and when additional programmers with 3D experience join then hopefully a 3D engine can be built onto the existing system.
B
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:28 am

@timtim: And where did I suggest that Ashley stated it was impossible? I didn't.

I'm simply saying, that software already exists where if someone was creative enough and knew some programming, they could create an amazing FPS with such a program.

You are only limited by your creativity.

EDIT: I should add I really like Construct. Don't get me wrong.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Apart from all this discussion, this just isn't going to happen to construct within the next 2 years anyway (i would think).

Its a nice idea, but Ashley has so much to do on construct at the moment anyway, and he's doing it mainly by himself. Perhaps if construct took off and had loads of devs (like blender3d) then different aspects would be developed by certain devs, and possibly a group would be interested in this idea etc.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion