3dobject help

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:44 pm

no it is low poly.... probably less than 37 faces..... the model im testing it on is just a plain sphere.
B
G

Post » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Fixed it.

Turns out the model was like 5000x too big... it was there but you couldn't see it because it was freaking gigantic.

Thanks again Shviller.

Anyone else may be having the same issue.

Drop the scale down (I ended up at 0.005 to make it fit on screen) and apply a texture to the face, any texture. Then it should work.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 pm

YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! IT WORKS :D :lol:
you are a genius! ... why didn't i think of this... i actually only thought of making it bigger :(
B
G

Post » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:55 pm

[quote="catpikachu666":c7awb0l3]YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! IT WORKS :D :lol:
you are a genius! ... why didn't i think of this... i actually only thought of making it bigger :([/quote:c7awb0l3]

Cool at least it works.

Seems that sketchup's scale is enormous. I had to make the model super tiny after I made it and it was still 500x too big.

Now to figure out how to texture the damn thing... not sure if a UV wrap will work or not? Also sketchup doesn't seem to support UV exporting anyway, so I will need another 3d package to make a UV wrap and test it out.

If anyone else already knows or figures it out first please post results here.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 pm

[quote:a2lbuzux] not sure if a UV wrap will work or not?[/quote:a2lbuzux]

UV wrap works from 3D Studio Max with the obj format. I haven't tried any other 3d programs or file formats though.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:13 pm

every thing should work fine..... i have gotten it to work with .obj exported from maya so i don't think the program matters.
B
G

Post » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:04 am

OK great thanks. I will just need to find a program I can use to simply create a UV wrap. Pretty sure Zbrush allows this, I might have to have a play around.

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 am

I don't understand the 3D Object as it works presently. I assume I'm either missing some extra data structure (such as brainpower), or it's just broken/incomplete...?

edit: Okay, cool. I can set the three rotational values using events at runtime. But I can't set depth, so everything gets squashed still. How do I get it to read depth as I've set it in the editor, or otherwise set the depth value using an event?...

edit2: Wow, yeah, okay, I found it. Maybe I should learn how to read. However, it all still looks like this... which is sad because they look fine in the viewport. I wonder what I'm still missing.

My best guess is that it can't sort properly since I just brought in an obj with tons of objects stacked in front of each other, but that doesn't make much sense - it looks right in the editor.

What it really looks like to me is that the viewer is displaying faces with normals facing one way in the editor, and the other direction when you look at it in runtime. But it also draws geometry that would be "backfacing" if there isn't anything else there. So you get this really mixed result... who knows why. But anyway, the results runtime look weirded out, and are inconsistent with the editor viewport, where stuff looks good.

I tried flipping the normals on my model, but apparently that data is ignored by Construct because even with a model featuring a correct skull and an inverted skull, they both appeared "correct" in the editor, magically, and then still messed up at runtime. So I'm guessing you've just forced a certain facing, or something. It looks good enough to work with in the editor... if only this were the consistent result.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Not exactly sure what's happening. Is the 3D layering options checked in the layer properties? There's also an option in the project properties called 3D eye distance or something. Make sure that number isn't really low.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:13 pm

3D Layering in the Layer Properties fixed it! Thanks a lot UberLou. I really appreciate it, man. Didn't even know those two settings existed, but I guess I didn't really know to look for them.

Maybe someone should make a page in the documentation for how 3D Objects in Construct work... I'm tempted, but it'd probably be more interesting if someone who knew exactly what the interpreter is doing to create the effect wrote the the documentation.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic