4-player co-op template (W/Gamepad Support) suggestions

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:06 am

I'm creating a template for 4 player co-op with gamepad support to sell on the Scirra Store. I am actually surprised to see no projects relating to local co-op. What are things you'd be interested in seeing as part of this template? Currently it's built with platformers in mind. I could easily do separate ones with different control styles, or package them all in one.

So far I have:
-Character Select screen - 4 players have 6 characters to choose from
-Dynamic Gamepad addition - If a player boots up a connected controller, the character select screen automatically recognizes this and knows to allow multiple characters to select before going to the first level.
-Can be easily modified to allow 5++ players (everything is controlled via Family Bahaviors and variables, so adding additional players is easy).

Or is this something that no one will have interest in?

Thanks for your feedback!
Last edited by bscarl88 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:53 am

Sounds great to me. I haven't written one myself yet, and have several game concepts in my idea list.
In fact, I have a few Hot Seat turn based games, (I call them Pass the tablet games,) made already. I do like local player games. :-)

So is yours all on one screen? (device)
B
243
S
63
G
33
Posts: 903
Reputation: 40,791

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:58 am

Paradox wrote:Sounds great to me. I haven't written one myself yet, and have several game concepts in my idea list.
In fact, I have a few Hot Seat turn based games, (I call them Pass the tablet games,) made already. I do like local player games. :-)

So is yours all on one screen? (device)


I guess I should mention it's with platformers in mind, so yes it's all on one screen. I could easily do any topdown game as well. Maybe I should do them both separately?
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I would definitely be interested in that template. I have wanted to add local co-op to my games but it hasn't been a priority for me so having most of the work done would be very helpful. Not sure what other features would be nice to have but sounds like you covered the core features that are needed.
B
34
S
15
G
1
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2,737

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Thirstyy wrote:I would definitely be interested in that template. I have wanted to add local co-op to my games but it hasn't been a priority for me so having most of the work done would be very helpful. Not sure what other features would be nice to have but sounds like you covered the core features that are needed.


I'm guessing most would want co-op for platformers right? I feel like thats more popular than 8 directional control, although I could do both
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:19 pm

I would think if you have the coop setup for a platformer it would be pretty easy to convert the controls for any other game type if your semi experienced with construct. When I made the little attempt I have done so far at local multiplayer my biggest issue was working through the two things you already had (a character select screen where players could select different characters and assign them to controls and the dynamic gamepad additions.)
B
34
S
15
G
1
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2,737

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Here are few other features I have thought of that I would put to use at least.

- split screen and shared screen options

- dynamic splitting screen like the newer lego games have - would LOVE to have this

- multiple inventory screens - it is really annoying in games for each player to have to open inventory/shop screens separately and really slows down the game play

-color swapped characters/skins - lets players select their character and then skin/color

If I think of anything else I will come back and post them.
B
34
S
15
G
1
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2,737

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Thirstyy wrote:Here are few other features I have thought of that I would put to use at least.

- split screen and shared screen options

- dynamic splitting screen like the newer lego games have - would LOVE to have this

- multiple inventory screens - it is really annoying in games for each player to have to open inventory/shop screens separately and really slows down the game play

-color swapped characters/skins - lets players select their character and then skin/color

If I think of anything else I will come back and post them.


All great ideas! But Im going doing this as barebones as possible haha so some players might not use health in the same way I would, or need an inventory, and I just want to get this base function out there.

Here's the Demo link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104 ... index.html

Can you do multiple cameras?! I would have no idea how to split up the screen.
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:34 pm

bscarl88 wrote:I'm creating a template for 4 player co-op with gamepad support to sell on the Scirra Store. I am actually surprised to see no projects relating to local co-op. What are things you'd be interested in seeing as part of this template? Currently it's built with platformers in mind. I could easily do separate ones with different control styles, or package them all in one.

DEMO - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104 ... index.html
Store - https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-fr ... pport-1508

So far I have:
-Character Select screen - 4 players have 6 characters to choose from
-Dynamic Gamepad addition - If a player boots up a connected controller, the character select screen automatically recognizes this and knows to allow multiple characters to select before going to the first level.
-Can be easily modified to allow 5++ players (everything is controlled via Family Bahaviors and variables, so adding additional players is easy).

Or is this something that no one will have interest in?

Thanks for your feedback!
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406


Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests