4-player Local co-op template (W/Gamepad Support)

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:54 pm

im thinking it could be because I didn't add all of the required images. I'll probably have to wait a day until they're approved
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:38 am

Just a quick confirmation, the Store link is now working!
B
35
S
10
G
4
Posts: 149
Reputation: 4,559

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Waltuo wrote:Just a quick confirmation, the Store link is now working!


phew! Thanks for the confirmation!!
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:46 pm

I see the description says to test the local co-op you need two controllers. Does that mean the template will work the same? Needing to two controllers plugged in to play 2 player local coop with a keyboard + controller isn't going to be a great setup for games..
B
34
S
15
G
1
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2,727

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Thirstyy wrote:I see the description says to test the local co-op you need two controllers. Does that mean the template will work the same? Needing to two controllers plugged in to play 2 player local coop with a keyboard + controller isn't going to be a great setup for games..


What do you mean? You need 2 peripherals to control 2 players. You can use the keyboard or controller 1 for 1st player only. If you link a 2nd controller, it recognizes this and puts it into 2 player mode. More controllers added = more players. But controller 2 only works for player 2, controller 3 for player 3 and controller 4 for player 4. I don't think anyone wants to play a co-op game on a single keyboard, is that what you're saying?

I guess I could make a button that toggles for player 1 to either use the first controller or the keyboard. Wondering how I implement that since everything is tied exactly to the Controller's ID. I'd have to find a way to let player 2 to be controlled by controller 1 or 2. Player 3 would work with either 3 or 4, etc. hmmmm.... is this something you guys want?
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Yes most local co-op games that use keyboard+gamepad would let you set first player as the keyboard and 2nd player as controller 1. You could make it something you could set in an options menu or something if you cannot auto detect that somehow. The way you have it setup someone would need two game controllers plugged in even if you just wanted to play one player on keyboard and one on gamepad (which is how my wife and I play those games typically).
B
34
S
15
G
1
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2,727

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:59 am

Thirstyy wrote:Yes most local co-op games that use keyboard+gamepad would let you set first player as the keyboard and 2nd player as controller 1. You could make it something you could set in an options menu or something if you cannot auto detect that somehow. The way you have it setup someone would need two game controllers plugged in even if you just wanted to play one player on keyboard and one on gamepad (which is how my wife and I play those games typically).


Great insight! I apologize, I was under the impression that no one split it up like that, and everyone just used controllers. I'll start working on that. How does this sound....

I'm trying to think on how best to accomplish that. I went into a few Local Coop games, and they all handle it differently. Rivals of Aether, for example, keep pushing the keyboard controls to the next available player when a controller joins. So if player 1 was controlled by the keyboard, when a controller joins, now player 2 is controlled by the keyboard.

Risk of Rain, only lets the first person be controlled by the keyboard, the rest have to use controllers. They have an icon above the character select that you can toggle keyboard on and off (this sounds the easiest). But i'll probably have to mimic it where the players have to change the number of participants manually instead of it being dynamic like I currently have it, which was something a few people were looking forward to.
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 am

I may be one of the very few that splits up like that but there are quite a few games I have played like this. Hammerwatch, Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Mercenary Kings and Full Mojo Rampage are a few that come to mind.
B
34
S
15
G
1
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2,727

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:47 am

Thirstyy wrote:I may be one of the very few that splits up like that but there are quite a few games I have played like this. Hammerwatch, Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Mercenary Kings and Full Mojo Rampage are a few that come to mind.


PHEW - Quite the overhaul, but I did it. Now you can toggle at the character select if you want player 1 controlled by keyboard or controller. If you select Co-op, and you have 1 controller, it will default player 1 to keyboard, and player 2 to controller. You can dynamically change it, and it will adjust what players the controllers control. So now you can do local co-op with 1 controller and 1 keyboard!
B
35
S
5
Posts: 411
Reputation: 3,406

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Excellent! I will definitely be purchasing and putting this to good use in the near future.
B
34
S
15
G
1
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2,727

Previous

Return to Completed Creations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests