46% of Apple devices are using iOS 8

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Red Apple Game Sprites Suitable for side scrolling, action, adventure, and endless runner game.
  • As measured by the App Store on September 21, 2014.

You can see it here:

https://developer.apple.com/support/appstore/

So what does it mean for us?

Ashley

• Wow that is blazing fast!

• It means nothing, until phonegap or apple fix their damn bugs where wkwebview cannot load files using file:// URL.

• For now it means safari will not be as much as a pain as before, which is great!

And later, that phonegap will be a really nice alternative

• It also means that the performance of Safari and other 3rd part web browsers (such as Chrome) are more on the same level (if the publisher updates the app to take advantage of all the new opportunities).

I'm impressed how fast people have updated; and also somewhat impressed with how Apple managed to £$ up with the initial 8.0.1 update ^_^

• It means nothing, until phonegap or apple fix their damn bugs where wkwebview cannot load files using file:// URL.

Not quite - if you read the HTML5 game performance on iOS 8 blog post, it points out that as of iOS 8 PhoneGap is equally fast to wrappers, but has a lot more features. So you can start using PhoneGap already. And when the WKWebView problem does get fixed, hopefully in a patch soon, you'll get a big performance boost - way above the wrappers - without having to do anything other than rebuild with the latest PhoneGap.

• Not quite - if you read the HTML5 game performance on iOS 8 blog post, it points out that as of iOS 8 PhoneGap is equally fast to wrappers, but has a lot more features. So you can start using PhoneGap already. And when the WKWebView problem does get fixed, hopefully in a patch soon, you'll get a big performance boost - way above the wrappers - without having to do anything other than rebuild with the latest PhoneGap.

Yeah, i see that phonegap on ios 8 is as fast as ejecta, but theres only a renderer test, what about the phonegap's performance? Have you tried sbperftest with phonegap? Is it's result equals to ejecta?

• Yes - I should have made that clearer in the blog post I guess - PhoneGap is now equal to Ejecta on all our performance benchmarks, not just that one. It makes sense because they both are currently GPU accelerated but not JIT-compiled. WKWebView adds JIT compilation so will allow PhoneGap to pull way ahead of Ejecta, instead of simply being equal.

• Yes - I should have made that clearer in the blog post I guess - PhoneGap is now equal to Ejecta on all our performance benchmarks, not just that one. It makes sense because they both are currently GPU accelerated but not JIT-compiled. WKWebView adds JIT compilation so will allow PhoneGap to pull way ahead of Ejecta, instead of simply being equal.

Ah yes, this is so awesome. Also people seem to upgrade to iOS 8 even faster than 7. This is really, really good news.

• The iOS 8.0.1 update was botched but they've retracted it now and promised an 8.0.2 update in a few days.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

It's great then, this is the thing i wanted to hear since iOS 8 released.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)