5 Minute Dungeon [playable build]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:43 pm

This looks super fun already. I'm jealous of you guys that can pull off such a simple art style with great use of colors and some very well placed pixels. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:42 pm

This looks like a lot of fun. Love the old school 2D art and mechanics. How did you pull off the smooth camera, if you don't mind me asking?
B
S

Post » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:26 am

@Wisdoms
Thankyou! that was exactly what I was looking for :D

@BigKid Icarus
Thanks haha, Glad you like it. Have to say Buddy Boy looks really polished too!

@Sestenes
I followed this tutorial: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/626/making-a-smooth-following-camera and tweaked the values to my own liking

Today I added the first trap in the game(It probably needs some chain, because it looks a bit dull right now.)
I also added the dust from the example Wisdom posted.
And I decided to make every dungeon room squared. I got this from playing Rayman Legends last night, when I came across the Amazing Maze level, seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVuCSBi5BIY That level is actually exactually where I want to be heading with my game, but ofcourse with my own twist. But as you can see from the vid I copied the first level layout.

B
S

Post » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:15 am

If it's procedurally generated, I can see myself having a lot of fun with this.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm

@Derqs You're welcome, nice traps you got there, i wonder if it could kill me? probably not haha.. ha, right?

In the gif how did you shake the screen vertically? it's not possible with the ScrollTo behavior to shake a certian direction, and the Shake behavior doesn't work for me.

Good luck!
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 am

@Wisdoms
The vertical screenshake wasn't actually on purpose :lol: , I only just saw it because you mentioned it. But I think it only shakes vertically because the layout width is the same as the window width.

So I'm trying to make a smooth transition between layouts, but so far I've only come up with this.
When you start the layout, the camera moves to the center of the layout. When you get to the edge of the window the camera moves to the right side of the layout and goes to the next layout. But as you can see there's still a bit of loading time between the layouts so the movement isnt really as smooth as I would like it to be :(
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:48 am

@Derqs Thanks for the camera tutorial - great stuff. And your game looks better and better! I think the simple concept of town, dungeon, boss is wonderful. You really have something special here. Can't wait to try a demo!
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:06 am

A demo is coming! But that would mostly be just a movement demo, because I really want some feedback on jumpheight, attacking while moving, attacking in mid-air etc.

I added a fade to the layout transition. But perhaps I should just drop all the camera movement and just stick with a simple fade effect like in most metroidvania's
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm

As easy as it would be, I feel the fading camera / static camera transitions would interrupt some of the flow of the game. The moving camera transitions I feel really assist the fast paced nature we're seeing.
Are you doing each area as a separate layout? If so, could you combine several of the areas into one layout and just have a door or something transition into a new layout?
What I mean is have several puzzles on one layout, with the smooth transition in between each. Then maybe have more 'major' transitions via a big door that needs a key or something.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 pm

I was thinking load each adjacent room, but have that loader in one layout. Then unload those rooms when the player is more than 1 room away. NPCs can be loaded on transition like old-school games [seem to] do.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests