50 fps in an empty project?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:28 am

Hi there!

I´m developing a runner with stages, non an endless, so the layout is 10000px width, (clearbackground set to NO). When I preview in debug mode, I´ve got about 50 fps. So I start to delete things till I´ve got an empty project, no objects, and no events, and fps still being about 50fps... I´ve been searching Performance tips tutorial, but I can´t find my mistake. I don´t know why this happens even in an empty project. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!
B

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:37 am

Debugger itselfs adds some % to cpu usage because it need to show you a lot of data in real time. Instead of Inspect panel, try watching it in Profile panel if you do not need any infos about objects.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 am

Also, just to be sure, how did you test it and what is the refresh rate of your monitor (if it is 50hz, that would explain everything).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:34 am

Hey thanks a lot for your quick answer!

Watching it in the Profile tab I get 60 fps, even with all the objects in the layout. But when I preview the game at the tablet it performances got some kind of disturbing jumpcuts... So I suposed the problem was that 50 fps I use to get at the Inspect tab.

I do the test with Chrome browser. As I´m getting 60 fps in other games, I guess the monitor rate must be 60 fps.
B

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:08 pm

I misread, the inspect tab indeed adds overhead to the game (like a lot actually, never managed to have 60 fps on my laptop with it) so for just testing without the need for the debugger, I suggest using the system expressions cpuutilisation and fps to have an idea of the performances of the game (for exemple, set every 0.5 seconds a spritefont to "fps:"&fps&", cpu:"&cpuutilisation*100&"%" ), or the watch tab.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:47 pm

I didn´t know that trick. I´ve got 60 fps, I don´t know why the game performance those jumpcuts when I preview it at the tablet... I´ll check tutorials and forums again. The answer must be there!

Thanks a lot!
B

Return to How do I....?