99 red balloons ...

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Red Hoodie Boy game sprites for side scrolling action adventure endless runner 2D mobile game.
  • This is very much a work in progress. There is no start or end yet - just a middle.

The back story will be something like ...

The king is having a party - the peasants have released lots of balloons in celebration, unfortunately the king only likes red balloons and it is your job to only allow the red balloons to pass. Pop the pesky non-red balloons with your trusty yo-yo. Score point for every red balloon that passes to the right and for every non-red balloon you pop - loose points for every red balloon you pop and for every non-red that passes to the right.

If you could give it a quick test for game playability and let me know ?

Many thanks,

RPW

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143636437/examples%20for%20web/99%20red%20balloons/index.html

• The first thing that came to mind when seeing the post subject was Nina and '99 Luftballons'

Anywho, game seems to work OK with no issues, although you will need to add something to vary the game play or it's likely to be too repetitive.

• RamPackWobble - well, the gameplay works like you wanted, but the quit button did not. I definitely see potential here for some fun. Keep at it.

• The first thing that came to mind when seeing the post subject was Nina and '99 Luftballons'

Anywho, game seems to work OK with no issues, although you will need to add something to vary the game play or it's likely to be too repetitive.

I might be trying to cash in on the song ... (I didn't say that ! )

I agree that it could become repetitive all too easily without something else...

Thanks for the comment

• RamPackWobble - well, the gameplay works like you wanted, but the quit button did not. I definitely see potential here for some fun. Keep at it.

Which browser are you viewing in please ?

• > RamPackWobble - well, the gameplay works like you wanted, but the quit button did not. I definitely see potential here for some fun. Keep at it.

>

Which browser are you viewing in please ?

Google Chrome

• - thanks for that. I use chrome 99% of the time and noticed no problems, I did a quick test in IE and that came up with a "the web page is trying to close" dialogue. I will certainly look into it.

• I tried it on Chrome, everything ran well, and the quit button worked for me.

It's a fun concept, but (as already mentioned) it'll need something more to really finish it off. Is there any particular reason you chose to let the yo-yo move independently, rather than allowing the players touch to indicate the yo-yo's direction?

zenox98, that was my first thought too (I guess that just shows my age)! Anyway, it never hurts to have links to well know connections

• It's certainly different! sure if I was king it would be easier to behead the peasants and ban all but red balloons, but anyways, trusty royal yo yo it is...

• Sorry, I forgot to mention My thoughts on the game...

After another blast, to be honest I'm struggling to enjoy it, even with Nena as backing track!

It's extremely difficult not to catch a red balloon on the back swing negating Your perfect "pop" shot...probably be a good name for the game thinking about it...

Maybe drop the yo yo in favour of a golden, jewel encrusted pea shooter...

• Blacksmith - thanks for the comments. This is very much a test of the basic idea - and it certainly need more thinking about, I might go with some levels where the player has aim control - in theory it should be easy to add (famous last words

Concerning the song - it's 30 years old !

• It's certainly different! sure if I was king it would be easier to behead the peasants and ban all but red balloons, but anyways, trusty royal yo yo it is...

Sorry, I forgot to mention My thoughts on the game...

After another blast, to be honest I'm struggling to enjoy it, even with Nena as backing track!

It's extremely difficult not to catch a red balloon on the back swing negating Your perfect "pop" shot...probably be a good name for the game thinking about it...

Maybe drop the yo yo in favour of a golden, jewel encrusted pea shooter...

Thanks for the comments.

But would I need to get the pea from under all the mattresses?

I think the earlier levels would have slower moving and better spaced balloons and ,er , other, er , improvement which I can't go into now because of ... yes, a non-disclosure agreement and also because I have no clues yet.

Wasn't the yo-yo originally a weapon - or am I getting confused with learning History from James Bond films ?

I do like the name pop shot

(I lied about the non-disclosure agreement)

• The idea of the yo-yo doing 360's sounds cool! Perhaps you could allow it to rotate whilst extended (just like the old "around the world" trick). That would allow players to pop a whole load of balloons (in an arc) all at once!? You could also allow the touch location to control the length of the yo-yo's extension as well as it's direction!?

Yep the song is pretty old now, I guess time flies when you're counting red balloons

Edit: pixel perfick always comes up with really great names... I pinched one of his name suggestions only yesterday

• Blacksmith Ah shucks! Ta!

RamPackWobble, I though it was Princesses that Pea'd the bed?...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Game runs fine, could be a fun little tablet or iPhone app game. Only issue I ran into was that some balloons go so high even if you don't throw the blade the red balloons can still hit the blade and hurt your scorel. I would either not let the balloons go so high as to hit the blade if it's not moving or make it so they only pop when the blade is thrown.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)