A basic Puzzle example (Now it even swaps back!)

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:43 pm

[quote="mattdubs":663clw7c]I'd say for that type of matching puzzle, in a finished version you should disable swaps that don't result in a match. Obviously it's up to the mechanics you want, but being able to move them freely takes some challenge out.[/quote:663clw7c]

You have a good point there. I wonder if I should include it in the third part. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to add yourself for somebody who checked out all the examples.

Actually I'm on the verge of rebooting this whole tutorial in favor of a more array-based approach. While I was creating the first two parts I realized that, while it still worked fine, it is the same old engine I used for Crypta more than half a year ago after all, just a little pimped. So I created a new engine for my game, making much better use of the array.

I'm uploading now a replacement for the first part of the tutorial. Let me know what you think. Array all the way or rather the third part of the original examples or both?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:57 pm

yeah it's pretty simple to say if there isn't a match, slide em back rather than just not allow for a little extra effect. these examples have been great in showing how to properly use the array inside of construct. I couldn't find a good explanation of it's implementation in construct so i had to totally guess when i first gave it a shot. This obviously would smooth out that process.

I look forward to seeing what's been updated in the first one when I get home from work (can't install construct here :( )
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:13 pm

It appears I was a little bit too forward with my reboot of this. As it turns out it doesn't appear to be as much of an advantage to do everything with the values inside the array as I had hoped (or the way I tried it wasn't adequate). Because I had still to move the visual blocks on top of that, which kind of ended up in being double the work. That's why I didn't go through with it after all. Never change a winning team I guess. :lol:

Anyway, I finally uploaded the third part. Now there's all the info needed to create a basic puzzle game, although it's by far the crudest one of the examples regarding the events. :P

Again all feedback is appreciated.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:06 am

Why isn't this on the wiki tutorials? Lots of nice concepts and ideas here.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:36 am

[quote="Guyon":1x0wl8ws]Why isn't this on the wiki tutorials? Lots of nice concepts and ideas here.[/quote:1x0wl8ws]

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this pop up. never even knew it was here!

If no one beats me to it, I'll put it up on the wiki sometime tomorrow.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:07 pm

I just bump this because I finally came around and adjusted this to work with recent Construct versions. Actually there was just one single event to be slightly changed. I somehow imagined it to be a lot harder, which is mostly why I didn't attempt it before. :lol:

So you can go ahead and try this again. I still consider to add the events to disable swaps that don't result in a match. Or keep it as it is for some of you as a learning experience. It's just a few more events at the right places. :wink:

[quote="Guyon":3b9vzmoy]Why isn't this on the wiki tutorials? Lots of nice concepts and ideas here.[/quote:3b9vzmoy]

Thx for adding this to the wiki btw!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:55 pm

PixelRebirth I have a fun idea for your puzzle tutorial into a game.

Premise: You are a molecular engineer at a power plant. By manipulating like subatomic particles you create power, but at a costs. Every time you move a particle it costs energy. So how long can you keep your power station operational?

Game:
Moving a particle costs energy
3 or more particles in a row create energy (bonus for 4+)
If you run out of energy you lose
High score board for total energy created

Anyone else with ideas? Specials? Bad particles? Time attacks?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:25 pm

[quote="Guyon":3tkgcmby]PixelRebirth I have a fun idea for your puzzle tutorial into a game.

Premise: You are a molecular engineer at a power plant. By manipulating like subatomic particles you create power, but at a costs. Every time you move a particle it costs energy. So how long can you keep your power station operational?

Game:
Moving a particle costs energy
3 or more particles in a row create energy (bonus for 4+)
If you run out of energy you lose
High score board for total energy created

Anyone else with ideas? Specials? Bad particles? Time attacks?[/quote:3tkgcmby]

That actually sounds like a cool concept for a match3 puzzler. Why not go for it Guyon? I'd be looking forward to what you can come up with! :)

Oh and well, there could be particles that match with any color when switched, but cost a hell of a lot more. Or the usual stuff that destroys any with the same color it was switched with... heh, can't rly come up with something original can I? :P
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi!!!

AweSome tutorial!!!
but...ofcourse...few questions)))

In Your method can't make blocks with animations?
and one more important: If block don't math than they should swapped back.

I try to make it for 2 days and... don't know what to do)

Please help!!!

Thanks alot for tutorial!)TheX2011-07-03 11:18:34
B
G

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:10 pm

When i run tutorial(3) in debug mode, the following occurs:

The number above the red arrow is constantly increasing.

Any way to stop this ?chrisbrobs2011-07-07 12:10:28
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files