A Better Understanding of Platform Behaviour

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:41 am

@ Greyspot - you're demo feels pretty damn close to the way it should, I'm very curious how you got everything working, I'm certainly willing to give credit if you're willing to help me out a little. I'm pretty stuck lol. I've been busy working on enemy AI and am just starting to tackle the feel, and to be honest, I'm not looking forward to it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:16 am

@brent
That's pretty much all I've done was work on the feel of the controls, and it was a pain in the rear! I plan to scrap that and redo it to make it a little more flexible because, at this point, interacting with moving platforms, ice floors, certain kinds of weapons, and anything else that alters my movement is going to be a nightmare to implement with how I currently have things set up. Honestly, the events sheet is a complete mess and doesn't allow for a whole lot of extras without changing a ton of the basic movement events. I left off on the file for a week, and when I came back I couldn't remember what half of the actions did or why I needed them in the first place. I should take better notes :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:51 am

Oh wow, haha, well, I'm using the built in platform behaviour, and I really need to get the movement speed, jumping, and sliding right, any suggestions on numbers for those?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:29 am

[quote="brent_hamel":2absdz48]Oh wow, haha, well, I'm using the built in platform behaviour, and I really need to get the movement speed, jumping, and sliding right, any suggestions on numbers for those?[/quote:2absdz48]

I'm using platform behavior as well. These are as accurate as I could get it. Of course, I handle acceleration with events because there is not option to instantly accelerate with the platform behavior. Which is strange, because I figure that would be a commonly used thing. Unless you want to do everything manually with custom movement (way too much work!), tweaking the platform behavior via events is the way to go. Here are the base values I used. With these settings, he jumps the correct height, moves at the correct speed, and I think falls at the correct speed.

B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:02 am

wow, thank you so much for sharing!! I'll try this right away!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:13 am

I tried your numbers and they work great, I just had to double them because I'm doing everything 2x as large. I'm still not sure how to get sliding working though. That one is definitely kicking my @$$
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:02 am

Ok so this is somewhat unrelated to the platforming mentioned in the title, but it's part of the same project, I have an object that performs certain behaviours that are timed with delays when the player has entered LOS, yet, when there are 2 instances of that object on screen, if only one has LOS, it will perform actions such as frame changing and msgbox by itself, yet other actions, such as setting horizontal speed or spawning objects get performed by all the instances...help? Is this some kind of picking error? Or does the delay plugin screw up the way construct performs certain actions?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:34 pm

[quote="brent_hamel":12e3uoyk]Ok so this is somewhat unrelated to the platforming mentioned in the title, but it's part of the same project, I have an object that performs certain behaviours that are timed with delays when the player has entered LOS, yet, when there are 2 instances of that object on screen, if only one has LOS, it will perform actions such as frame changing and msgbox by itself, yet other actions, such as setting horizontal speed or spawning objects get performed by all the instances...help? Is this some kind of picking error? Or does the delay plugin screw up the way construct performs certain actions?[/quote:12e3uoyk]

Try putting the LOS actions in a for-each-object loop and select the enemy/object-with-LOS as the object. Not sure if this works all the time though, as LOS behaviour has been pretty buggy in my case :(
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Already been there and done that I'm afraid, I'm almost positive it's the wait object throwing off the picking. I'm thinking of maybe having a private variable for the object that acts as a count down timer instead. More work for me but hopefully less buggy.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 am

I want to use TimeDelta to subtract from a private variable as a timer, what is the best way to impliment this?

Nvm, solved it myself, if I use Always and then subtract an amount * timedelta it seems to work
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic