A business offer for all you game makers out here!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:20 pm

lol, you guys are funny :) people come throwing money at you and you flame us :) the offer still stands for those willing to accept it :)
B
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:01 pm

^^^ Okay... you do realize that you've f'ed up fatally when you put stuff up like "When posting an example, you're automatically accepting" (on a message board you don't own or moderate by the way)? I've worked on commercial games, and have gotten and give many proposals... none of them were done this way. It just wasn't professional, this is why you're catching heat.

I'm normally one bringing up how rude people are to other poster's around here, but this is one time where I have to side with the consensus. Your whole approach was wrong, WAY wrong. You should've known better.
B
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:29 pm

hehe, chill. i haven't killed anyone or did something inexcusable. So again; it's up to you guys - decide what you want to do. I'm already accepting offers via my PM from members of this board, and i will gladly post our progress here if you care to know how things are developing - maybe the actions will speak louder than words? As i said, we never did this kind of business with digital games, and we're free to make an offer in any manner we feel is suitable. This is called a free form agreement, yet another legal form available to the contractors world wide.

Again, i don't need to own newspapers to place an ad in them, do i?
B
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 pm

I dont understand how people are getting so scared and defensive about this offer. Yes, you can do it yourself, but no one does, and besides, this might actually get get someone to finnish a game with a good concept. If i wherent all filled up with my long-terme project i would have a go at this, but now is not the right time for me. But unprofessional or not, this is a good oppertunity for many people out there. We all know how quickly you can get a game together with construct if you just can draw some limits on world size and playtime.

but something like paypal as a security is never wrong thoug..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:10 pm

I must agree with Attan on that one ,Imagine if a game developed by Construct could be sold by an upcoming games company and that game got as popular as tetris for instance ,Most people would kick themselves because they missed such a great opportunity.Life is all about risks and if we just say no to every opportunity that might come along we would just remain annonymous forever.

I know i had quite a few dissapointments with gamedev over the years but i always get up and search for a new opportunity.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:25 pm

thanks guys - as i said, we have a rock solid paypal account and will do a paypal transaction if you think this is a preferable way for us to do business.

And another thing, to clear up a missunderstanding:

"When posting an example, you're automatically accepting" - lol, this sentence is turning into a legend :)

PLEASE. Please, read carefully the entire post before foaming at the mouth :)
here it goes again...

When posting an example, you're automatically accepting, that in case we accept your offer, you will finish the entire project by the standards made in this post, as well as with our suggestions that may enhance the gameplay, but not change it in a substantial way (ie. our suggestions will not increase the costs by making you add more content).

What does it say? in case we accept your offer? hm? That means you will have to make AN OFFER after posting an example! yey. So what does that mean? A contract? it means that the last step is still IN YOUR hands. No offer from you - no obligations from you.Sorry for the caps, but i had to emphasize. So please guys - chill and read carefully - i don't have a beef with any of you and i like you all very much - when i wanted (and still want) to program as a hobby,many of you were helpful and constructive - i want to give something back to the community, so please don't shoot this down. The offer is still on - people are shy and posting PMs to me, but no one actually dares to post in the thread. Please, post here, so we can break the ice and realize that this is a good offer and a good opportunity for all of us :)

Thanks and hope to get more submissions soon!
B
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:46 pm

[quote="juredujmovic":2uc3vmdl]hehe, chill. i haven't killed anyone or did something inexcusable. So again; it's up to you guys - decide what you want to do. I'm already accepting offers via my PM from members of this board, and i will gladly post our progress here if you care to know how things are developing - maybe the actions will speak louder than words? As i said, we never did this kind of business with digital games, and we're free to make an offer in any manner we feel is suitable. This is called a free form agreement, yet another legal form available to the contractors world wide.

Again, i don't need to own newspapers to place an ad in them, do i?[/quote:2uc3vmdl]

No hehe, YOU "chill". Everything I said was on point and there is no way around it. Whether you're legit or not, it's clear that you don't understand your error and you made that clear when you posted this:

[quote="juredujmovic":2uc3vmdl]lol, you guys are funny :) people come throwing money at you and you flame us :) the offer still stands for those willing to accept it :)[/quote:2uc3vmdl]

Thing is, it's not a joke. And I know you don't understand, but putting "When posting an example, you're automatically accepting" in this manner is bad form. No one knows you, no one knows much about you and you're already asserting that people should trust you on post #1? If you think people who make offers professionally do what you're doing, I've got news for you, they don't. Why? Because its absurd. And let's not bring "oh I didn't kill anybody" rhetoric into it.

Furthermore, you can't compare this to a newspaper ad because by reading a newspaper ad a person isn't automatically agreeing to anything, so the level of acceptance and responsibility is completely different.

Any developer here should ask for more establishment of information and be EXTREMELY suspicious of you before doing anything with you. It's in their best interest, and any proposal with the best interests in mind for those they are proposing to would include substantial legitimizing information... your's did not, it's as simple as that.
B
G

Post » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 am

Sounds interesting. I think good way to solve some of the trust problems would be to plan the project in the way that both sides are happy with it what they get/give at the time. So, give yourself 3 milestones. Deliver fist and company need to give you 100 euro, second another 100, before submitting final game they need to give you paper contract with details about how much will you get from each sale etc. and it should be good. There's always a chance that you will be cheated but I don't think they are looking for Starcraft 3 or some other AAA title... They want some small games so risk is limited I think. Some more discussion about it and it might work.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 am

Look at what happened to Anthony Flack and his game Platypus on the Blitz Basic forums. The company that published Blitz Basic (forgot the name) liked his game and gave him a small amount to finish it off (add a few more levels, polish it etc). If memory serves that amount was about 1000 (big amount at the time for him seeing as he was skint). He gave them the rights to it and well.... anyone who knows anything about games knows he lost a crapload 'cause it made a packet! And no, he didn't have any royalties. Just be careful what you sign away.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:56 am

This sounds like an interesting offer to me..although not enough for me to pursue. 400euro would be real nice for a young developer in China though. I don't like the "automatically accepting part" either, whether in part or in the whole context. It comes off bad.

I don't think there is anything wrong with paying someone for making a game for you and you don't have to be a publisher to do it. Heck, I could offer a $1000 usd for someone to make me a game and I am no big time publisher.

The most important thing, as others have said, is to be careful. I like the idea of delivering a portion of the game and getting paid in increments. That way it keeps everybody honest.

Edit: And small royalties are a GREAT idea. If the game is good enough to offer money for in the first place it should be good enough to allow a small percentage as a royalty.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic