A call to ban all Ghost Shooter clones.

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:28 am

How about a "Post Your Ghost Shooter" thread in Creations. Anyone, not just beginners, could use it. Any new GS threads that people create can be merged with the main thread. If people want to demonstrate some technique that takes the tutorial further, they can do so in that thread.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:37 am

Instead of a sticky it should be a sub forum, that way all posts relating to ghost shooter could be placed there. Like you said there will be a few valid reasons for making a post, and these posts should be answered without going off topic. Plus there's a chance that some of the new users questions will be answered there, and they wont need to make a new thread,
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm

[quote="newt":34dz6pid]Instead of a sticky it should be a sub forum, that way all posts relating to ghost shooter could be placed there. Like you said there will be a few valid reasons for making a post, and these posts should be answered without going off topic. Plus there's a chance that some of the new users questions will be answered there, and they wont need to make a new thread,[/quote:34dz6pid]
Bad idea, it would just Garbage the forum for no reason.
Just add sticky with sub-rules and if someone posts "Ghost Clone" then thread will be deleted with Warning PM.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:22 pm

banning is a bit harsh. and makes us look elitist. Which i hate.

yeah just make a thread and put them in there or sommat..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:35 pm

[quote="adrix89":3mmh3eq1]I don't think its a good idea to ban ghost shooter clones because ghost shooter is a demo not a game [/quote:3mmh3eq1]
Emphasis mine. The key thing here is Ghost Shooter is not a finished creation, so I don't think reskinning it and posting it here is what this forum is for - it should be for posting finished original creations. If someone extended the Ghost Shooter game with powerups, several levels, new enemies, a menu and a high score, that's fine, it's a finished game. The tutorial makes half an engine for the purposes of teaching people how to use Construct.

The correct thing for GS modders to do, I think, is to post the .cap file to the Uploads forum, and ask for assistance/comments on their expansions. Since only beginners will be modding Ghost Shooter for educational purposes, if everyone can look through their .cap, they can comment on events they've added, easier ways to do things they've tried to do, possible problems etc. and then they can learn more. They shouldn't post EXEs to Your Creations, though, because they won't learn anything.

In short, with Ghost Shooter mods, don't post EXEs to Your Creations, post .caps to Uploads. That's my stance, anyone with me?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Truly, the words ghost, shooter, and exe should not be in the same post
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:02 pm

[quote="Ashley":1nl31nz8]In short, with Ghost Shooter mods, don't post EXEs to Your Creations, post .caps to Uploads. That's my stance, anyone with me?[/quote:1nl31nz8]

This. All of it.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 am

To be honest, it's not as bad as the problem with the Racing Line clones in the KNP world in 95 (Some of them even exploitative and 'shareware' contradicting the strict usage license of the KNP software applied to games)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:48 am

i second the creation of a forum for beginners to post about their experiments and give each other feedback and whatnot

either that or have a forum for experimentation where anyone can post snippets or test out ideas and the like
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:08 pm

[quote="Mipey":2dsznl0e]split the creations forum into categories: demos (proof of concept, simple demos, GS clones), games (actual playable games), utilities (zomg 3dmesh tool) etc.[/quote:2dsznl0e]i agree; banning is a bit harsh, especially for newbies getting pumped on understanding ghost shooter. instead of putting them off as lame, the community signal should be a friendly welcome & the advise to get cracking on something original asap. separation of demos/tests, finished games and tools sounds like a nice idea in any case.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic