A Construct for programmers

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 am

[QUOTE=Twinsonian]

The one thing I DO know is that the next game making software that comes out that combines the functionality of both construct and GM will be huge. Having an event system for non-programmers and a scripting language of some sort for those that do enjoy programming but want more rapid development will be amazing.

[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. Even if you can code, there are times that you want to simplify your workflow by using a drag/drop or code blocks approach. Likewise the graphical coding in C2 is great for simpler tasks, but can become very messy for complex operations.

Just like in Unity, you can mix and match coding with graphical tools like Playmaker/Unscript or mix coding with Kismet in UDK. The newer 3d engines such as Bitsquid and Project Anarchy have this mix or coding and visual tools, as it really is the best of both worlds.

GM is partially there, but the drag/drop tools are very weak and I just do it all in code. Hopefully C2 will have some support for scripting down the track, but I am not holding my breath as it is not something you could bolt onto the existing events system and would most likely have to be redesigned with that facility in mind.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 am

[QUOTE=zendorf]... Hopefully C2 will have some support for scripting down the track, but I am not holding my breath as it is not something you could bolt onto the existing events system and would most likely have to be redesigned with that facility in mind.[/QUOTE]@zendorf
I don't understand what you're saying here. Isn't the SDK/plugin facility exactly the "support for scripting" that you're wanting?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:59 pm

No, I am not talking about creating a custom plugin but having the ability to script out an event/action as an alternative to the visual system. Being able to script out things on the fly rather than creating a prerolled javascript plugin.

This probably flies in the face of what Scirra are trying to achieve with the "no coding" philsophy, but being able to mix scripting and the visual style in the events sheets would be a nice option.

I have barely tried Classic Construct, so I am not sure how successful the Python integration was.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm relatively open to the idea of inline scripts like Classic had, but using Javascript rather than Python. The main reason it's been held off is firstly time (as always), but it's also easy to accidentally use platform or browser specific features that break your game's portability (especially with non-browser engines like CocoonJS), or use new javascript features that aren't supported everywhere yet, or just write code that accidentally creates tonnes of garbage and ruins the game's performance. So there's really a lot to go wrong there (and it's partly why I held of for a pretty long time before even just adding execution of javascript strings via the Browser object). The fact C2's engine is well-optimised, low-garbage, and well-tested on a broad range of platforms are nice features IMO, and custom scripting lets you break that (as do third party plugins, actually). But I guess the fact a tool could be used wrong is not a reason to prevent anyone using the tool, especially if it can be used educationally.

FWIW, all the "built-in" plugins and behaviors except the System object are written in the same Javascript SDK that third party devs use. So it's really capable of everything.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Sounds like a "bug fest" waiting to happen and flies totally in the face of what construct 2 is about...

I think the existing modular system is a good compromise keeping the core engine compact and robust...

And we All want that...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 pm

[QUOTE=zendorf] No, I am not talking about creating a custom plugin but having the ability to script out an event/action as an alternative to the visual system. ...[/QUOTE]@zendorf
Would be helpful to have a few examples of events/actions that you'd want to script out as an alternative to the visual system ...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks for reply Ashley, makes a lot of sense. Sounds good that you are open to an inline scripting system at some stage, and as much as I love Python, Javascript is the logical language to use.

@Pixel perflick, I am also very interested to see what the future holds with the proposed modular enhancements. Reuse of code would be a good thing , which is currently difficult with a visual coding system.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:47 am

@zendorf: reusing code is solved using Include Event Sheets and functions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 am

I am talking about resuse of code between projects. Yes, it can be done with importing a whole project and copy/paste between event sheets but this is far from an elegant solution. A more modular system is in the works so it is only a matter of time...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 am

Not to trivialize the conversion, but I think Construct2 is just about perfect as is and some of these suggestions would add a layer of complexity and unreliability that would really compromise the features that make C2 so attractive. The pipeline has been quite smooth and we get incredible features (like 3D sound, etc.) made easy and on a regular basis.

I would not change a thing about the current development model.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General