A crashing debugger also takes the editor down.

All closed bug reports are moved here.

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Test 1

1/ Make a new project
2/ Add an Array
3/ Give the Array a 160000 width & a 160000 height

(i know that this is quite impossible, but it is a good test)

4/ Press debug

Chrome will go 'out of memory'. Debugger will crash. That is the goal of the test.

But i did not expect the editor to crash too.

Test 2
1/ Make a new project
2/ Add the system condition 'while' to the event sheet
3/ Press Debug

(i know that this is a endless loop, that is the goal of the test)

The debugger will crash, but also the editor will crash.
Even worse, after restarting the editor, all icons are gone, hope that restarting Chrome will solve that.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm

I can confirm this. It's very annoying... obviously we shouldn't cause infinite loops, but in case it happens, it should be the game that crashes, not the editor. Specially since you can lose lots of unsaved progress.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:06 pm

On my end it froze. I didn't crash. I think this is because both the game and the editor are part of the same Memory chunk (cause Chrome). It wasn't happening on C2 because they were two separated processes.

Note that previewing it in a Dialog rather than previewing in a popup is even faster to freeze everything
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Unfortunately we can't directly avoid this since the local preview runs on the same origin, and the browser tends to keep same-origin pages in the same process, therefore they crash together.

We have some plans to move preview to a different origin which should help (but still no guarantees). For various reasons we're tracking this internally but we're going to look in to this. Meanwhile I'm closing this report as we're trying to clean up this forum.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

That is fine. But this needs a fix or a retrievable snapshot of the project before previewing. Ty.
B
S
G

Return to Closed Bugs