A Danmaku Engine in progress

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 pm

[quote="Daiz":1b5vf5c0]Since this is a thread about danmaku engines I guess I could post my input as well.

I'm creating a bullet hell game for TIGSource's Assemblee Part 2 called Lowblow - Fantastic Awakened Passion:

I decided to simply cheat when it comes to the 3D backgrounds, which works quite well - the current test level thing looks reasonably convincing enough. It's also built with variable level progress speed in mind, and doing stuff like adding different objects to the background scenery shouldn't be hard. So really, 3D backgrounds aren't a showstopper for making your danmaku engine, you just need to cheat a little :P[/quote:1b5vf5c0]

Firstly I want to mention that the game looks awesome, the dialogue looks funny was well, I wouldnt mind test playing. Second I think itd be possible to make 3D backgrounds via 2D graphics and the right math, mind PMing me some kind of example of how the bamboo's work? ((im assuming they work like the ones on Mokou's stage))

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:11 pm

I don't have the code at hand right now (posting from a library), but it just basically creates a bamboo object at the back of the screen at either left or right with some X&Y variation, animation frame variation and filter variation. Then according to the levelspeed global the bamboos are simply moved down slightly diagonally and their width and height is scaled accordingly to make them look more convincing. It looks neat enough in motion.

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah, thats a nice engine, and looks funny too.
I think the bamboo effect would be easy if aforementioned problem didnt exist.

AND: Wait... Ashley is a guy? o.0 my bad.

Return to Your tutorials & example files