A few questions

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Hey guys, I've done a bit of searching but I couldn't really find what I was looking for D: Anyway,

1. Water Refraction/Heat Waves. Is this currently possible in Construct? I don't mean just using some object and giving it a warp effect though. I'm looking for an object that will grab whatever is behind it and move the pixels in a sinewave type motion or something; similar to Multimedia Fusion's "water surface object", or the "perspective object". I found a refraction effect when I was searching around earlier, but the download link just opens a text file..Not sure if it's the effect I'm looking for anyway.

2. "Palette swapping" or changing multiple colors on a sprite. Something that will allow me to change colors on a sprite by predefined values. Is there a way to do this yet?

3. Don't shoot! Is there any type of gamepad support besides the 360 yet? I dunno if it's just me but I can't stand using a keyboard to play games. I've gotten used to it but some of the games I make kind of require a gamepad.. unless you've got 6 fingers. That and well, not everyone has a 360 controller..

Thanks for any help!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi,

[quote="Tokinsom":3omgh11s]1. Water Refraction/Heat Waves. Is this currently possible in Construct? I don't mean just using some object and giving it a warp effect though. I'm looking for an object that will grab whatever is behind it and move the pixels in a sinewave type motion or something; similar to Multimedia Fusion's "water surface object", or the "perspective object". I found a refraction effect when I was searching around earlier, but the download link just opens a text file..Not sure if it's the effect I'm looking for anyway. [/quote:3omgh11s]
Moving the pixels in a sinewave type motion is exactly what the warp effect does. You may apply it to a layer to affect a whole layer or the canvas object to affect everything behind the canvas object.
Effect files are plain human readable text files with the suffix ".fx" Just have a look at the first three lines. If they represent this
// Effect Name
// Effect Author
// Shader Version
then you have found a Construct effect, just place it in the effects folder.

[quote="Tokinsom":3omgh11s]2. "Palette swapping" or changing multiple colors on a sprite. Something that will allow me to change colors on a sprite by predefined values. Is there a way to do this yet?[/quote:3omgh11s]
Glad you ask ;) I'm currently working on an effect that will provide exactly this, including animated palettes. Looks good already, but I'm afraid I'm not the fastest when it comes to finetuning and preparing demos :mrgreen:

[quote="Tokinsom":3omgh11s]3. Don't shoot! Is there any type of gamepad support besides the 360 yet? I dunno if it's just me but I can't stand using a keyboard to play games. I've gotten used to it but some of the games I make kind of require a gamepad.. unless you've got 6 fingers. That and well, not everyone has a 360 controller..[/quote:3omgh11s]
I saw something here on the forums, it was either a plugin completely supporting standard controllers or some driver that accesses standard controllers and pretends to be a 360. Something like this. I'm sure others can answer that more clearly.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:32 pm

[quote="tulamide":1h61jipm]Moving the pixels in a sinewave type motion is exactly what the warp effect does. You may apply it to a layer to affect a whole layer or the canvas object to affect everything behind the canvas object.
Effect files are plain human readable text files with the suffix ".fx" Just have a look at the first three lines. If they represent this
// Effect Name
// Effect Author
// Shader Version
then you have found a Construct effect, just place it in the effects folder.[/quote:1h61jipm]

The canvas object works perfectly for this, thanks! I sometimes forget how useful it can be.

[quote="tulamide":1h61jipm]Glad you ask ;) I'm currently working on an effect that will provide exactly this, including animated palettes. Looks good already, but I'm afraid I'm not the fastest when it comes to finetuning and preparing demos :mrgreen:
[/quote:1h61jipm]
Awesome.

I'll be looking forward to it's release :D If I just use different colored sprites for my objects I'd probably never live to see my game finished! This will be an extremely useful effect.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:31 pm

[quote="Tokinsom":1apieo3t] This will be an extremely useful effect.[/quote:1apieo3t]

Very much so! Is there a thread for it so we can watch for releases?
B
G

Post » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:55 am

I don't think there will be a extra thread for it (well, maybe a little teaser :P ), but when I think of it being a final version, I'll post it as always in the completed addons subforum
B
S
G

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic