A few serious problems that could use your votes/support!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • There are a few serious problems involving third parties which are currently hampering development of Construct 2 desktop games.

I'm sure I speak for all the desktop developers when I say we'd be thrilled if you could spend a moment of your time and help bring attention to these issues.

1. NW.js does not work on mac and linux for large projects

Yep, that's right, the latest versions of NW.js have a bug that prevents projects with lots of images (so, any big project) from running on mac and linux. While 10.5 still works, there are unfortunately a lot of other problems with 10.5 and bugfixes for version 10.5 aren't going to happen.

To help out with this issue, leave a comment (or, if you're feeling generous, a bounty) here.

2. Chrome runs like absolute rubbish below 60fps

For some reason, any time a C2 game dips below 60fps in Chrome, bad things start happening. 59fps is literally unplayable in a fast-paced action game like Airscape.

This may or may not be more of an issue on fillrate intensive games, more testing needs to be done here.

If this issue was fixed it would bring an 100% increase in effective performance in C2 games, as anything from 30-60fps should be perfectly playable.

To help out with this issue, star/comment on the chrome bug report here.

Again, thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Daniel

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I star'd and commented on that Chrome issue. *bump* Hoping this can all be sorted soon. Better Chromium also means better Crosswalk, yes? Or am I mixed up?

• Also starred.

I seriously hope this gets sorted. I am about to port all my games to unity as this is bollocks.

• Also starred.

I seriously hope this gets sorted. I am about to port all my games to unity as this is bollocks.

+1 for the starring and +1 for learning Unity as a backup plan.

• +1 for learning Unity as a backup plan.

yip - game institute course

• I agree that when even the html5 export cannot work reliably, we have an issue, also I am slightly worried that chrome will break our content in the future, Sure, we can update our games with a newer C2 if a breaking change happens, but the web will be there for a longer time than C2 itself so at one point, currently they seem to choose the "we ditch useless things", that is also a real issue with native technology it seems as a lot of my games cannot work properly anymore without a patch, and since the web seems to evolve at a faster pace I am unsure about the stability long term wise Across browsers (even with new browsers that may just appear).

• Starred the one about chrome.

There's another issue to star: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=424174

• I'm still using 10.5. I'll update it if they ever get it sorted. All I ever hear is bad stuff.

I'm really sad that this is the only option we have for a pc export. There are no backups or alternatives. I am just going to have to hope for the best when my project is done in a few months.

• Thanks for your support, everyone! Keep it up!

• Everyone would have switched to Unity or GMS if it were that easy. Thing is...how many of us can create games of the same calibur using them? If you don't know C# or JS then it will be years before you can even begin making decent games in Unity. Even then I find the workflow to be completely bonkers in comparison. Seriously - go check out how to create and animate a simple sprite-based game character. As for GM...it's an incredibly buggy and obtuse piece of software if you ask me. I am truly baffled by how popular it is.

Frankly I (and a large portion of the community it seems) would be happy with a single native windows desktop exporter, and have no problem waiting for other native exporters down the road. This whole multi-platform craze is ridiculous and every engine out there is focusing far too much on it instead of features to make better games. HTML5 will likely never reach its full potential on consoles and mobiles anyway so forget about it already. Ya tried it, it didn't work, move on.

Ahem..anyway..starred.

• As for GM...it's just an incredibly buggy and obtuse piece of software if you ask me........Frankly I (and a large portion of the community it seems) would be happy with a single native windows desktop exporter, and have no problem waiting for other native exporters down the road. This whole multi-platform craze is ridiculous....

Spot on....

I am continually balancing any advantages of moving to another software. If I do it will be to something better than GMS! Unity or, perhaps, UE4 - but I will be acknowledging such a move would be stepping back 2 years in ability before I might become vaguely competent. So, considering a 2 year time frame, I'm just balancing what I think will be the best use of that time. I could be wrong, but thus far my time is being gambled with c2...

• Nesteris well since I am only ever targetting browsers, it is not as easy as switching to another html5 engine (which will obviously have the same issues with browsers), for non browser games however, I agree C2 should not be used, it is not worth the wait and it seems wrapper just share the bad side of both browsers and native.

• Nesteris I get your points but you have to consider that GM is like 15 years old and many of the popular games made in it were by veterans. Having lots of games for it doesn't mean it isn't still buggy and obtuse. MMF2 is considered one of the most antiquated and poorly designed engines out there by some, yet it still has a lot of successful and popular games and even more on the way. Also, C2 has more games than you think. A few are even doing well on Steam. Either way, Unity is ultimately superior to all of em so anyone looking to jump ship is probably better off with that.

• I agree that when even the html5 export cannot work reliably, we have an issue, also I am slightly worried that chrome will break our content in the future, Sure, we can update our games with a newer C2 if a breaking change happens, but the web will be there for a longer time than C2 itself so at one point, currently they seem to choose the "we ditch useless things", that is also a real issue with native technology it seems as a lot of my games cannot work properly anymore without a patch, and since the web seems to evolve at a faster pace I am unsure about the stability long term wise Across browsers (even with new browsers that may just appear).

you are right, this a problem in all software development. anyone who makes software and/or OSs and/or frameworks update ALL the damn time. you have to support your game after it's done or it will become vaporware... I was on a team that created a decent sized iPhone game back in 2010, we all went on to other projects and the main programmer was too difficult to work with, a year later Apple changed a basic function in Objective C which completely broke our game. The programmer was gone, we had to act quick to pull the game off the app store before people bought it since it didn't work at all.

So the fact that C2 relies on browsers (and its not mutual - meaning browsers don't care about C2 and only see us as a faceless crowd of HTML5 developers), I'm still confident that as long as C2 devs are supporting their games, Ashley and team will find a way to keep things running. Of course Scirra could close it's doors tomorrow and we'd all be screwed. I think that's also a common fear/issue for most users of high-level software.

Look at Fraps.. their last update was in 2013. Win8.1 came out and now Fraps cannot capture monitor without a go between app like Xsplit.

• Starring - for what it's worth!!

EDIT: additional content removed in the interest of keeping this on topic after giving UberLou later comment some serious thought....

After all we all love C2 and want these third party issues sorted.....

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)