A few serious problems that could use your votes/support!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 8:53 am

@Nesteris

"As for veterans of the software, you yourself have been here 4 years, Aphrodite has been here 3 years, we have tons of other members who've been here since the beginning and there's still no showcase worthy games... Unless you count Darkbase 01. "

In my case, It was because I had other things to do and no money/budget, not a limitation of the engine itself (I did also tried game maker but could not do anything truly worth it with it in the past), you can say I am more here for the game concepts rather than doing finished game, I will agree that the focus of the community on small mobile games does not help (I even remember someone telling me he would not enjoy the games he did, but as long as they can be sold to a publisher, it is enough).

As for darkbase 01, clearly cannot be called a worthy game, nor a showcase of what C2 can do.

In the end, this squatting of other markets just showcase how much the majority of people do not want to use html5 at all and could do without, and this "marketing mistake" is what ends up being destructive (rather than doing full fledged quality browser games that could be shared easily with one link, with social integration, they try to do native games, but this one has a lot more of thing to consider, namely performances and wrapper quality, also the web evolves at a faster pace, which can be a bummer if you don't get yourself into it), as for browser don't care about games, it is true, not going to lie, but since they are currently trying to release OSes that are meant to use only the Web browser, we still have a hope.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
53
S
22
G
18
Posts: 2,122
Reputation: 17,123

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 am

@michael, I'm with you 100%. I downloaded 20 hours of Unity videos 3 weeks ago because I think enough is enough. I've already started the slow transition, although I'm hoping that a c2 export becomes commercially viable while I am a Unity noob.

Like you say, though, a functioning export appears unlikely in the next 12 months - at least for fast paced games (which is one reason why Umbra is so slow, I just accepted the c2 limits when u started). I admire the work done on c2 but I am not sure I only want to spend time on making slow non-action puzzle games.

Back on thread - have Google acknowledged a limitation or made any progress with this yet?
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
76
S
20
G
73
Posts: 2,244
Reputation: 45,962

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 12:13 pm

@Aphrodite

Well I actually have no money/budget to spend on my game, all my assets were ripped from Public Domain or done by artists for free (and I'll still need to switch them out when my game is done).

Aprohdite wrote:they are currently trying to release OSes that are meant to use only the Web browser, we still have a hope.


But why stick with hope when there's fully functioning engines overlooking the bench we're all sitting on that's slowly breaking?

Here's a basic summary of the circulation of C2 users:
  1. Person sees cheap, free of coding game engine
  2. Person tries it, person likes it
  3. Person decides to buy it since it's not too expensive, is easy to use and seems to come with a ton of exports for free
  4. Person starts using said engine, editor and everything seem really good so far
  5. Person starts running into minor bugs, shrugs it off and makes a work-around
  6. Person starts running into major bugs, files bug report, gets told it will be fixed, feels good enough
  7. Person starts to finish game and exports it, is amazed by how incredibly buggy it is, barely working
  8. If person finishes game, they release to target platform only to have their product kicked off the platform due to using old wrappers because the new wrappers C2 provides break every game forcing users to use old wrappers which cause platforms to block games causing users to use new wrappers - loop
  9. Person starts using forum more often and thinking about switching engines

Thanks false marketing!

C2 is broken and not very usable for real world scenarios (read: Making a functioning game that can stand against time). It's CC 2.0, now with the same problems that plagued the original CC!

@Colludium

Nope, google's stance for everything is "We broke it, you suck it up."

michael wrote: mean really. . . .!! this is ridiculous!!
The concerning thing about all these threads is not just the content, the real worry is the time scale!


And this isn't even mentioning all the problems and threads related to mobile wrappers and performance.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
22
S
7
G
1
Posts: 558
Reputation: 2,925

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 pm

sqiddster wrote:2. Chrome runs like absolute rubbish below 60fps
For some reason, any time a C2 game dips below 60fps in Chrome, bad things start happening. 59fps is literally unplayable in a fast-paced action game like Airscape.
This may or may not be more of an issue on fillrate intensive games, more testing needs to be done here.
If this issue was fixed it would bring an 100% increase in effective performance in C2 games, as anything from 30-60fps should be perfectly playable.


I played your Public_Performance_Test on my crappy laptop (i5 1.7Ghz, HD Graphics 4400) using Chrome 42.0.23. The fps was 35-45 (never going above 45) and I had absolutely no jank. I could tell it wasn't 60fps, but the game ran smooth. Have you not had this result?

EDIT: let the game test run for 20 mins... FPS 35-38, dt diff:19-38, Max dt: 36-51, dt:27-37 (hard to see), Min dt: 25-29
Last edited by jobel on Mon May 04, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 2:08 pm

@Nesteris

"But why stick with hope when there's fully functioning engines overlooking the bench we're all sitting on that's slowly breaking?"

For the same reason I would rather do complete full fledged browser games rather than native ones if I had the time, if you do not see said reason, that is ok, however the topic talked about issues with chrome, and so wrapper are related to an extend but not the main thing (which should have been shown as such with C2 in general).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
53
S
22
G
18
Posts: 2,122
Reputation: 17,123

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 3:06 pm

@Nesteris

Just out of curiosity, have you created/finished/published a game ? (construct, game maker etc, or code ....)




@admir wrote:PS: Here's another thing I don't quite understand with HTML5 games: 60FPS for a game and depending on the jank spike, anything that dips below that becomes unplayable? Seriously? I know that it's 30FPS that's supposedly playable, minimum at a reasonable 24. So how did it come to this?


:D

I have a couple games running ~30 and up on various devices, and game play is good enough.

Perhaps some peoples expectations exceed their own capabilities.

:lol:
Who dares wins
B
57
S
17
G
21
Posts: 1,878
Reputation: 19,572

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm

@Aphrodite
Obviously you're targeting browsers, that's completely fine. I'm talking about the people who get C2 while trying to make a desktop game.

@lennaert

I did two test games in GameMaker Studio while following a couple tutorials, one throw away game in C2 and I'm currently doing my action platformer in C2 which is about 90% done but I had to start again from scratch due to both messy code (but it still works perfectly) and major C2 bugs which a lot of the features (e.g. enemies are doing double to triple damage for absolutely no reason, even in the debugger, there's one instance of each so it's not multiple enemies occupying the same space, and their damage variables are the proper amount, not the amount that's being deducted from player's health).
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
22
S
7
G
1
Posts: 558
Reputation: 2,925

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 4:47 pm

lennaert

I did two test games in GameMaker Studio while following a couple tutorials, one throw away game in C2 and I'm currently doing my action platformer in C2 which is about 90% done but I had to start again from scratch due to both messy code (but it still works perfectly) and major C2 bugs which a lot of the features (e.g. enemies are doing double to triple damage for absolutely no reason, even in the debugger, there's one instance of each so it's not multiple enemies occupying the same space, and their damage variables are the proper amount, not the amount that's being deducted from player's health).


@Nesteris

I asked because you have quite some critique about various aspects of construct 2 work flow to produce a game, while in fact, you have about zilch experience.

Even in your post above ... you refer to "major c2 bugs" while in fact I would take on a bet , that:

Nesteris wrote: enemies are doing double to triple damage for absolutely no reason, even in the debugger, there's one instance of each so it's not multiple enemies occupying the same space, and their damage variables are the proper amount, not the amount that's being deducted from player's health).


Are your own game logic's problems ...... which you created ....


I see you outing a lot of criticism on construct 2, and mentioning how you would make a move to another game creation tool and what not ... but I' will take on a second wager that that ship will strand with the same problems ....

Which for me boils down to biting of more then you can chew ....
Who dares wins
B
57
S
17
G
21
Posts: 1,878
Reputation: 19,572

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 8:00 pm

I feel like a few vocal inexperienced users keep derailing threads bringing a lot of negativity to the forums. This thread should be about making NW\Chrome better.
B
80
S
52
G
42
Posts: 370
Reputation: 26,330

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 pm

@lennaert

[quote="lennaert"]Look at me everyone! Look! Look! I'm an ass![quote]


[quote="lennaert"]Are your own game logic's problems ...... which you created ....[quote]

If it was, I would've fixed it. It's a bug because I have two identical projects, one was 'Saved As' another project, so literally everything is the same.
And it doesn't one in one You're obviously a fanboy who's too deep in denial to admit that, by some miracle, C2 could possibly have bugs :O
I also checked your website, "Connect there spheres before the timer runs out"? Oh damn everybody strap in before they fall out of their chair at the originality and and innovation!

You're just mad I'm poking at C2's bugs and limitations.

Go be a troll somewhere else, troll.

@UberLou
Good point. My previous post was supposed to be my last one on the thread until mister troll decided to bait.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
22
S
7
G
1
Posts: 558
Reputation: 2,925

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests