A few serious problems that could use your votes/support!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 pm

@Nesteris

After all your insults .... the only thing I like to add is:

You are just angry because you fail ....
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 9:52 pm

admir wrote:PS: Here's another thing I don't quite understand with HTML5 games: 60FPS for a game and depending on the jank spike, anything that dips below that becomes unplayable? Seriously? I know that it's 30FPS that's supposedly playable, minimum at a reasonable 24. So how did it come to this?

I'd like to know what people are talking about when they're using that word- Do they mean things go wrong with the gameplay that make the games literally impossible to play properly, or do they just mean they really don't like the way the janking looks and they don't want to release full games with that sort of issue?
FREEDOM: Diegesis - Out Now for Windows! http://freedom.quicksandgames.com
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 pm

@Quicksand I think it is both, at 60 fps, the current chrome just does not render properly (the jank) and it is really annoying to look at it.

And below, on some circumstances, the controls become too unresponsive and so, the game becomes unfaIr.

Both issues are relative to chrome I think, but I could be mistaking.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 pm

Aphrodite wrote:@Quicksand I think it is both, at 60 fps, the current chrome just does not render properly (the jank) and it is really annoying to look at it.

And below, on some circumstances, the controls become too unresponsive and so, the game becomes unfaIr.

Both issues are relative to chrome I think, but I could be mistaking.

Thanks for replying.

Maybe I'm just used to jank because my computer is really, really old but I haven't really noticed it in my game to the point that it made anything unplayable or even that ugly (and again, that's on a super old and slow machine).

I can see how a really fast-paced game would really suffer from random stutters, though.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Quicksand wrote:
admir wrote:PS: Here's another thing I don't quite understand with HTML5 games: 60FPS for a game and depending on the jank spike, anything that dips below that becomes unplayable? Seriously? I know that it's 30FPS that's supposedly playable, minimum at a reasonable 24. So how did it come to this?

I'd like to know what people are talking about when they're using that word- Do they mean things go wrong with the gameplay that make the games literally impossible to play properly, or do they just mean they really don't like the way the janking looks and they don't want to release full games with that sort of issue?

Like Aphrodite said, it's both. The lag spikes look bad *and* they affect gameplay. Collision checks fail, platform behaviours behave inconsistently etc.

Starred btw.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Oh I see ErekT, I've had a couple issues like that when playing at a double-scaled resolution. I saw someone else saying the same in another thread the other day. For the other people having similar issues could screen-scaling be a common factor?
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Aphrodite wrote:at 60 fps, the current chrome just does not render properly (the jank) and it is really annoying to look at it.

I had MAJOR jank issues in my game back in November 2014 using chrome...until I realized that jank didn't exist in NW10.5 so I did all my previewing in Node..

Fast forward to today, I cannot detect any jank in Chrome or the latest NW12 and my game is fairly intensive... Sometimes when I'm capturing video there's an occasional frame drop, but other than that, the game is smooth as silk. So if the jank is there, it's tiny because there's no way its anywhere near where it was in November - I would see that.

It seems like this issue will persist since it's a hard thing to prove - I have yet to see it. I don't see how NW or Chrome can actually get any "better" in regards to this if it can't be reproduced.

EDIT: the jank back in Nov2014 made the game unplayable. It looked horrible... I was not happy.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 05, 2015 2:04 am

So when you talk of jank, the FPS literally drops to 1-3 for a few microseconds several times in a time span, and it's not detected by the frame rate counter accurately (hence just displaying sub 60FPS)? Is there way to globally limit the frame rate to around 30-45 and will this help?
B
S

Post » Tue May 05, 2015 3:33 am

@admir As far as I know there's no way to set framerate within C2.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Someone responded to Chromium's Issue 422000. Their response:

Assigning to self since Brandon already did his part on this bug.

+simonhong since the "unified BeginFrame for Aura" patch (https://codereview.chromium.org/1016033006) definitely added noise to the graph.

Depending on how bad the jitter is, maybe we should have the unified BeginFrame work land behind a flag while we work on making it more responsive and integrating it with the rest of the system.

After the patch above, the rAF start can be blocked by work on the Browser's UI thread which is where the jitter is coming from. This isn't necessarily bad though since going through the Browser's UI thread also allows us to avoid races with user input, which can actually improve perceived smoothness; but we haven't yet integrated with jdduke's work to get that benefit.

Unified BeginFrame should also become more responsive as we move work off the Browser's UI thread with efforts like impl-side-painting in the Browser. We should probably see if there's anything else monopolizing the UI thread and what we can do about it (blink scheduler on the UI thread?).
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General