A good tablet for development - Suggestions?

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:34 pm

I own a Windows tablet with a Wacom digitizer with both pen and touch support, and various smaller Android tablets, and an older iPad 2. From experience I can tell you that doing any real work on the road (outside drawing and ideation) is a very painful and cumbersome process on tablets without an actual keyboard.

Doing any game development without a keyboard is like trying to run through a river of mud - SO slow and frustrating. I tried. It is no fun at all. Tablets are meant for media consumption foremost.

The OP mentions large fingers - you will probably need a stylus in that case. Android and iOS pen support is rather primitive, and imprecise compared to Wacom, though.

Another issue is screen size. For productivity you need something bigger than a regular iPad. An iPad Pro would be okay from this viewpoint, but you would still have to deal with the lack of a keyboard - and you mentioned you do not want to go down the Apple road. But a stylus is offered by Apple to make like easier working on the screen. Fingers, in my experience, are way to in-precise, and prone to errors.

Android tablets seem to be on the way out - even Nvidia cancelled their upcoming game tablet. The only Android tablet that I might suggest to get at this point is the Google Pixel tablet, but that one's only available in the US, I believe - and anyway, that screen size is too small for actual (game) development.

Windows tablets like the Surface Pro are very expensive, and you'd be better off getting a notebook for less money.

Perhaps consider looking into Chromebooks? Those seem to be the next step in the evolution of Android. I've looked at several at the Google booth at BestBuy, and the screen sizes are pretty good, they have keyboards and are convertibles: use them either as tablets or note(net)books. Android apps run in a window, and multitasking is possible.

Since Construct 3 is going to be Chrome based, a Chromebook seems like the perfect companion for on the road C3 development: you get both a (large) tablet, and a proper notebook for development. Games can be tested in an Android environment. And most of these fall within your budget as well. :)
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 pm

@SpielerZwei

Fyi. I can run blender, unity, , catia, AutoCAD just fine on surface pro 4. I regularly play heroes of the storm on it and it will even play Overwatch. Try running those on an android tablet. You are behind the times wrt integrated graphics performance. Also there are few laptops with stylus support.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:12 am

I would suggest to wait for the beta at least. Not terribly long way left.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 am

I'm also using a Surface Pro 4. I highly recommend it for development, especially of you're developing for mobile/tablet and have touch in mind. It's basically a 1 stop studio all in one, since it can run full softwares like, Photoshop, Aftereffects, Maya etc, for creating assets as well. Another big plus is stylus.

My usual position when working is on my back in the sofa with just tablet on my belly and the stylus in my hand. No mouse, no keyboard. Since you don't have to write a lot of code with C2, the on screen keyboard, along with the built in predictions and quick picks it's really easy to use without mouse/keyboard. The on screen keyboard is enough for some expressions etc when needed.

Performance is great, and battery life is decent (If you're out and about) but most of the time when I'm home i keep power cable connected.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:47 am

NetOne wrote:@SpielerZwei

Fyi. I can run blender, unity, , catia, AutoCAD just fine on surface pro 4. I regularly play heroes of the storm on it and it will even play Overwatch. Try running those on an android tablet. You are behind the times wrt integrated graphics performance. Also there are few laptops with stylus support.

You didn't get my point. To be honest when it fits to your recommendations that's fine. But it doesn't to mine. When things get complex especially with 3d content or vr the performance of a surface is poor. Sure for simple 3d or 2d projects this isn't an issue. And sure you can't do that on a android tablet too... but that's not the point. Whatsoever I'm exited about what will be delivered by scirra.

And even back to the topic: for me it makes no sense putting money on a overpriced tablet just to be mobile. But hey maybe for u or others it would be.
B

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:52 pm

So far:

Surface Pro 4 comes with range of specs, it can be equiped with M, i5 or i7 processors, ram 4gb, 8gb or 16gb and SSD 128GB-1TB
Prices $599.00 - $2,599.00
I will consider that. Strong, useful, can run even C2, short battery, not "full" android.

Cromebook - interesting, should be investigated.

Pixel C - same

Galaxy tab - I heard (rumored) that maybe Galaxy tab S3 will be announced in April, March or even in MWC 2017(feb27-march2), with good specs per price (300-400$)

Cheap tabs - not very interesting for me. Or maybe something more specific?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:52 pm

The Surface Pro 4 is a good all-around choice. The Surface Book is probably not worth the money unless you have cash to spare, the additional GPU in the keyboard isn't especially powerful, so it may be better to wait until the 2nd or 3rd release of the platform to really invest that much in its hardware; the Surface Pro line had performance and overheating issues until the SP4, and I've noticed similar issues when really pushing the Surface Book. Asus also makes a Win10 tablet with Thunderbolt support, so you could plug in an external GPU if you're feeling it's worth the extra cost to invest in an external GPU cage & GPU, but it's not especially portable. Overall, I've found the SP4 to run pretty much everything BUT C2 games quite well, as the recent Intel embedded chips have pretty decent performance and can run Overwatch, DOOM, every Valve game, etc. at acceptable resolutions. Unity also performs fine, as does most Adobe software, though there's no CUDA support due to the lack of nVidia tech.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:28 am

What about the Yoga Book? Too under-powered?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:09 am

I suggest using Surface Book. It's expensive but it's a pure tablet + a laptop.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 pm

i wish "someone" made a surface i7 with wacompen , a mobile 1060+ gpu, infinity touch display from dell and doesn't sound like a jetplane, i would finaly buy one,

for tablet i use a 10' lenovo tab2 <200$ and pretty happy about it, connection is sometimes iffy, .. will be interesting to see if i can do some c3 on it..
ImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion