A Hole In the Earth (Blaster Master type game)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:03 am

flatness wrote:Thanks for sharing your game in the works. The graphics and parallax looks great, but I seems to be getting a flicker that is 1 pixel deep and goes horizontally all the way across the screen (just a bit under the ground where the character is running). Are you getting that too?

You are welcome! Thanks for trying it out!
Hopefully the parallax will look even better once I'm freed from the constraints of the free version. ;)

I am seeing that pixel gap as well, thanks for pointing that out. :)
It has to do with the pixel smoothing option that is turned on. I'm hoping that when I make the ground sprite a proper tilemap, instead of two separate background sprites, it'll fix itself. :P
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:41 am

@ryanrybot

I'm glad that you noticed what I was referring to. Though it isn't a huge thing, I'm at least glad you saw what I was referring to. Your game is looking really good!

Rick
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:13 pm

This is actually really neat - the wheel movement is fantastic - feels very precise (the way it rotates in relation to sideways movement). Sprites and camera work are also top notch. I think you might add a mild sine up/down movement to the body of the vehicle so it feels like and engine is active in there. Will also make it more lively than just a static object.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:03 pm

HELP! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:40 am

@flatness, Thanks a lot! That means a lot to me!
I'm in the process of redrawing all the art for the game, so hopefully it'll look even better. That's the goal at least. :P

@Somebody, thank you! The wheel rotation took a bit of experimentation to get looking proper. Well worth the effort though. :)
I love your idea of adding a sine to the body to give it some life. I'll give that a try!

Kouji San wrote:HELP! :D

Hehe, I've updated the game recently where the hole is filled in, so if you clear your cache the game should update properly. :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:57 pm

@ryanrybot cool its fun to ride the vehicle :)
B

Post » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks @bono! I'm trying to make it fun and intuitive to play, so I'm glad to hear that you liked the controls. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:58 pm

It reminded me of a game I used to play in commodore 64 like... decades ago... I really like where this seems to be going. Would you consider varying the tree's heights? I think the forest -which is already nice- would look much better that way. Love the visuals.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Nice work! I had a particularly fun time trying to mount an enemy to get over the big gap. Then I saw the post about getting out of the vehicle, went back and discovered the hover upgrade, which is very well done indeed.

I must say, it should be possible to optimize events to get you back below 100. Go back and see what events you can combine into single parts or replace with some behavior, also, try using invisible colliders instead of your terrain to detect collisions, saving much needed events. I may be wrong though. Hoping you get your license soon:)
Check out our WIP:BroodImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:14 am

Hey, @Windwalker that is a very good idea! I am in the process of making some better art assets, so varied trees are definitely on the list. :)

@Po10c it's fun to hear about all the different ways people are playing. Although the AI and collisions are very primitive* right now, they will get fleshed out later. My hope is that you won't be able to ride on the enemies in the final version. :P
I believe it is possible to optimize the events a little more, and thank you for the suggestions! A license will be mine soon. Mwahahaha! :D

*may just be crappy
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests