A "kind of" multiplayer game idea.

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Sorry, I guess my other post was a bit critical for someone without much coding experience. It's cool that you're thinking through ideas like this, but there are still a few problems:
- you can't assume all your players have a ramdisk (or SSD) - the reality is most people have traditional hard drives
- writing files is probably quite slow, again because it's not designed for latency - complex games might take a framerate hit
- the overhead of writing files is still large, so although your simple case works, you might find you can't add many players or much more data in transmission before it bottlenecks. It's not so much the maximum data rate as the latency that is the problem (i.e. how long it takes the message to arrive, rather than how much data the message holds).

I think R0J0 did some python tutorials on how to use sockets? You might be able to search the forum for that. Also, you could try reading up on websockets - that's what modern browser games use for multiplayer.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 pm

[quote:ebbu2cwk]I think R0J0 did some python tutorials on how to use sockets?[/quote:ebbu2cwk]
Not me, it was scidave.

Here's the link:
[url:ebbu2cwk]http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6299&hilit=multiplayer+python[/url:ebbu2cwk]
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Oops, sorry, got mixed up :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:19 pm

[quote="Ashley":dub82p3e]Sorry, I guess my other post was a bit critical for someone without much coding experience. It's cool that you're thinking through ideas like this, but there are still a few problems:
- you can't assume all your players have a ramdisk (or SSD) - the reality is most people have traditional hard drives
- writing files is probably quite slow, again because it's not designed for latency - complex games might take a framerate hit
- the overhead of writing files is still large, so although your simple case works, you might find you can't add many players or much more data in transmission before it bottlenecks. It's not so much the maximum data rate as the latency that is the problem (i.e. how long it takes the message to arrive, rather than how much data the message holds).

I think R0J0 did some python tutorials on how to use sockets? You might be able to search the forum for that. Also, you could try reading up on websockets - that's what modern browser games use for multiplayer.[/quote:dub82p3e]

No problem Ashley, i was talking of a ram disk working in free software like this one:
[url:dub82p3e]http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/free-ramdisk-for-windows-vista-xp-2000-and-2003-server/[/url:dub82p3e]
I guess you're right about this and websockets should work best for a start.
Thanks for the info, i'm going to do some research then.
B
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:20 pm

[quote="Ashley":2l3lzxd5]Oops, sorry, got mixed up :)[/quote:2l3lzxd5]
:D :D
B
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 pm

[quote="R0J0hound":zj1s16us][quote:zj1s16us]I think R0J0 did some python tutorials on how to use sockets?[/quote:zj1s16us]
Not me, it was scidave.

Here's the link:
[url:zj1s16us]http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6299&hilit=multiplayer+python[/url:zj1s16us][/quote:zj1s16us]

thanks for the link.
B
G

Post » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Whether it's practical or not, the idea itself is very creative. I certainly never would've thought of it. :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 pm

I wonder if you could use a collaborative Google spreadsheet to do this.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Well, it lags a bit. If it were a chess game or a turn based game that wouldn't be a problem.
Definitely this not work well with real time games/simulations.

Sorry for the black bars on the videos, i still have a CRT as main screen and i'm filming with my Nokia.

Here is the box moving simulation sending X Y and angle values through a WiFi network between two pc's.
[url:22xmi7ug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvY2F5V4CsU[/url:22xmi7ug]
B
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion