A list of 2d game genres to consider making

2 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • Hey fellow Constructors

Google failed me, but I need some help. Can you list for me all the standard 2d game genres out there.

I know game genres can fit into both 2d or 3d interchangeably but the reason I'm asking is because, I'm ashamed to say but I didn't even know about "Tower Defense games" until a few days ago. Now I'm in love with them, like crazy!

I don't really care about "Massive Online Battle Arenas" at this stage. I'm more interested in another new game I've just seen today: Nuclear Throne". What Genre is that, is it a shooter or action game or what.

When I bought my Construct if you'd told me I would end up thinking of making a Tower Defense game, I wouldn't have understood what you're talking about. When I tried Googling "2d game Genres" I kept getting Vainglory, Call of Duty and all the big stuff. Did I mention Vainglory? I love that game, despite all my dying. Anyway:

Can anyone kindly help me with examples I can mimic.

Genre examples like:

1. Platformer = Super Mario

2. Tower Defense = Kingdom Rush

e.t.c.

I'd really appreciate it, cause it will help me make informed decisions on what my 1st game can be like. I want to make it simple and 'finishable' to make (yeah.. it's now officially a word).

Tafadzwa Tarumbwa

Totally2d

• Top Down

Isometric

Shump

Endless runner

Mode7

And lots of offshoots

Metroidvania

Zelda-esk

Roguelike

Rts

The list goes on, and on...

• The list goes on and on indeed!

match 3

puzzle

brawlers

visual novel/choose your own adventure

rpg

card game

mobile game

point and clink adventure game

clickers for mobile

Take a look at the classic retro consoles that came before the Playstation 1 and the N64. You could pretty much create any 2D game that came out on the SNES, Genesis, NES etc. So many genres and way to go about creating them!

You can create anything 2D that never existed in that era too! Take a look at Papers Please! Pretty unique game! I think Papers Please was created using the Game Maker Studio Pro. That's a 2D game in a hard to define genre but you can probably make it using C2.

• Puzzle platformer

Horror game

Anything you can think of...

It's less about the genre and more about the game itself. Make the game that you want to make, not one that fits into a specific genre

• Top Down

Isometric

Shump

Endless runner

Mode7

And lots of offshoots

Metroidvania

Zelda-esk

Roguelike

Rts

The list goes on, and on...

Thank you so much!

You have given me the kind of list I really needed, I didn't know Mode7 were called Mode7. I've been googling each genre and taking notes, even a good Shoot'emup would be great to make. Especially the kind that scrolls from the side, I found one called "Sir Oliver & Aquila".

You've given me a lot to think about

Cheers newt

• The list goes on and on indeed!

Take a look at Papers Please! Pretty unique game! I think Papers Please was created using the Game Maker Studio Pro. That's a 2D game in a hard to define genre but you can probably make it using C2.

I love supporting Indie games! I'm really keen to get Papers Please now. I guess we have to score 1 for Game Maker studio.. we'll get them with one of our own. Have an awesome day!

Thank you heyguy for helping me with the genres!

• Make the game that you want to make, not one that fits into a specific genre

Thank you so much for the encouraging words..

I really love the genre you recomended: Puzzle Platformers. Seeing all these genres in action has helped open my mind on what else in already out there. I just "Googled" some Puzzle Platformers on Steam (Google is now a verb for searching right?). I found an awesome sample of how PPs look it's called "Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe" by Adult Swim.

I can't wait to roll out my first game. I just feel that I needed to as they say, know the rules. In order to break the rules

Have an awesome day KnivetonStudios

(Where can I find your game(s) by the way?)

• Totally2d I don't have any released games but I am currently working on three projects: one main, one side project and one in early development. The first one is a doom inspired top down shooter, the side project is just a small shooter and as for the other one, I am yet to decide wether I will be able to do it or if it is too ambitious...

Good luck with your games I totally agree about what you said about knowing the rules before you break them, that's why I usually make a prototype to see if my idea will work before I commit to producing all the art.

• KnivetonStudios I know how you feel about measuring out whether or not your idea is too ambitious. I'm saving up to buy another copy of Construct2: for my younger brother. I just can't wait to get Totally2d's first game out there. I once made a bunch of never-released stuff using an engine called GameEditor. I had 3 open projects I never finished, it was back in (I think) 2008.

This time around I'm getting my games out there! I already got my own copy of Construct2 and 2 copies of Spriter, for my bro and I.. (Can't wait for Construct3 - if it's still coming. That's if it can do Android natively).

I live in Zimbabwe, Africa by the way. In Chitungwiza, a town famous for it's high population density and being the birthplace of a lot artists; especially musicians. My name is Tafadzwa Tarumbwa. I'm hoping my games will have visuals that can showcase things in Africa, but I'll do baby steps. Like when one builds Rome.

I hope to see your games soon.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Totally2d Glad to hear about your projects good luck

My uncle went to Zimbabwe a few years (although I'm not sure what part of the country it was), he said it's a nice place with great people

Uve nezuva rakanaka

• Uve nezuva rakanaka

Thank you! Have an awesome one too KnivetonStudios

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)