A memory scenario. What's happening?!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:00 pm

@jobel The 400 MB (rough estimate, might be other factors weighing in that I can't trace) is all the sfx/sound currently in the game. If I had access to a system that erases unused assets/sound, that amount could easily be reduced to something much, much less. That is beneficial regardless of scope. No game, even AAA would be able to run on underpowered consoles like PS3 or 360 without being able to discard unused material. I'm not worried about my budget over what's loaded in at the same time, it's the fact what's loaded in is permanent that worries me.

I'm sure I can optimize it more, but that's not what I'm reaching out about. My point is that I won't only have to reduce the scope without a way to regulate assets and sound, it will be completely crippled if the entire game has to be loaded into ram by the time the player reaches the end...
I doubt other engines work this way.

Also I hope that the topic won't derail too much. I opened it due to frustration of the memory use growing endlessly when jumping between layouts, not over optimization over individual assets. I get this bad feeling that some art assets are never unloaded, or stay in a cache of sorts that only cleans itself when the memory use reaches ridiculous levels.
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:29 pm

I'd be interested to know why we don't have many memory management tools - is it a limitation of HTML5 or is it on the to-do list?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:30 am

Tinimations wrote:If I had access to a system that erases unused assets/sound, that amount could easily be reduced to something much, much less.

my point is, you don't have access to anything like that since it's a current limitation of C2. But there's no reason you can't still make a great game with awesome sfx. You shouldn't have to reduce the scope of your game you just have to figure a way to do it. Does your game really need that many sounds? I don't know anything about your game, but my guess is that you can find a way to make it work. However, if it is integral for your game to have that many sfx files then C2 is probably not the right choice for your game. I'm pretty sure GameMaker also restricts unloading sounds from memory. But I know you have more control over memory management in Unity for sure.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General