A question about android exports

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Sounds like I'm not alone. Deployment has always been the thing holding me back because no matter what options I try I always run into some or other issue. Pushing a button and getting an apk would be absolutely ideal. I don't think anyone would say "no" to that option.

In the mean time I should learn more, I think about "the hard way" of using the android sdk and compiling myself.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 pm

IMHO the key question is.. How much extra are people willing to pay for these exporters? Programming, testing and maintaining those will take a considerable work (and ***load of hardware), especially with all these new 'like-androids' around.

For example Nokia just recently released new set of X phones that have forked android and "75% compatibility", Mozilla announced they are aiming for 25usd Firefox-phone etc.

Even though in theory most of these new (and even existing) systems support html-5 there will be differences, both on hw and sw level and it's quite a complex mess.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:44 am

When deploying software to multiple platforms, there is no easy one button solution. Each platform you are targeting is going to require a few unique steps no matter what, like signing etc, once you do them a few times it becomes easy. A few mouse clicks and waiting a couple of minutes is not a big deal for me, I think there are more important areas for Scirra to focus on like multiplayer :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:09 am

...Actually that is an excellent point. However, one could with just as much conviction ask how much extra time we all should be spending trying to fuss with deployment instead of working on more important things like polishing our own applications. Some of us have solved multiplayer issues on our own with just as much facility as "a few mouse clicks" as well, but if we can't deploy the darn thing to a mobile platform, what use is any of it?
Follow my CZero development on twitter https://twitter.com/CaptainZeroGame
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General