A question about animating a static character

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm aware of the use of bones animation, but this is different. I'm wondering if people here are familiar with taking a static character like so:

http://www.brianclopp.com/images/greens ... houtte.jpg

And then manipulating the image with an editor (Gimp, Photoshop) to do things like create a run animation, jumping, walking, etc.

What is this style of animating called? And is there any good software out there that makes it easier to do?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:27 pm

anime studio, adobe aftereffects, i think some do it in flash
that editor I'm making
there's probably more, but those are the ones i know
for a completely static image, tho, aftereffects is probably the best

oh yeah, there was some facething...forgot what it was called
but it used to be only for facial fun puppet things...I think now it does stuff like that
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks Lucid.

By the way, I saw your program, it looks really cool. I can't wait to see how the final program turns out.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 am

thanks, btw, stumbled upon that last program by accident....
it was called crazytalk
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:09 am

There's also graphics gale for pixel art animations. That's what I use. What do mean by static character though? I'm not sure I understand. I think what you mean is just traditional animation of a sprite, (no segmented body parts, just pure frame scrubbing of a single sprite) correct me if i'm wrong. If you want to make a nice looking run animation for that silhouette your going to have to redraw the frames by hand.

Or do you want to bake a bone style movement by cutting that image up into limbs and animating them like a doll?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:35 pm

[color=#0000BF:2vfj1vqn]MrMiller wrote:
"I'm aware of the use of bones animation, but this is different. I'm wondering if people here are familiar with taking a static character like so"[/color:2vfj1vqn]

You can create this effect with Poser 7. One of the render settings lets you save the animations as black on white silhouettes.

[color=#0000BF:2vfj1vqn]Lucid wrote:
"thanks, btw, stumbled upon that last program by accident....
it was called crazytalk"[/color:2vfj1vqn]

I think the program is called 'ICLONE' by 'reallusion'. Its the same company that made 'crazy talk'.

Iclone is for character animation, and crazy talk lets you create facial animations with lip syncing.

Iv'e got the programs on one of my old hard drives i think. Poser6 or7 would be the best option out of the 3.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 pm

[quote="chrisbrobs":22884sma]...
You can create this effect with Poser 7. One of the render settings lets you save the animations as black on white silhouettes.
Iv'e got the programs on one of my old hard drives i think. Poser6 or7 would be the best option out of the 3.[/quote:22884sma]

I could be wrong, but I think he's more interested in a taking any still image, and converting it to animate-able puppet, not necessarily creating a silhouetted image
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:15 pm

[quote="lucid":3u6xhpjp][quote="chrisbrobs":3u6xhpjp]...
Iv'e got the programs on one of my old hard drives i think. Poser6 or7 would be the best option out of the 3.[/quote:3u6xhpjp]

I could be wrong, but I think he's more interested in a taking any still image, and converting it to animate-able puppet, not necessarily creating a silhouetted image[/quote:3u6xhpjp]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could try Jasc Animation v311 :

http://board.jokeroo.com/progress-mater ... -v311.html

I dont think it has an option for splitting the image into 'body parts' though?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:32 pm

[quote="Davioware":21wq6g43]There's also graphics gale for pixel art animations. That's what I use. What do mean by static character though? I'm not sure I understand. I think what you mean is just traditional animation of a sprite, (no segmented body parts, just pure frame scrubbing of a single sprite) correct me if i'm wrong. If you want to make a nice looking run animation for that silhouette your going to have to redraw the frames by hand.

Or do you want to bake a bone style movement by cutting that image up into limbs and animating them like a doll?[/quote:21wq6g43]

I probably should've explained that better. I meant just one frame of a character/model.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:39 pm

[quote="lucid":2bc1e7pe]I could be wrong, but I think he's more interested in a taking any still image, and converting it to animate-able puppet, not necessarily creating a silhouetted image[/quote:2bc1e7pe]

That's correct. I checked out Crazy Talk last night: http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/

^^^ that program is really something. I'm about to get into bones with Construct and I'm hoping I'll be able to do something as smooth with Construct as what I see with Crazy Talk.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic