A simple game with different performances. Why it happens?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Adjusting the game screen for different resolutions (Letterbox scale)
  • Simple game:

• few objects and images
    • using only the bullet behaviour (once)
    • no "every tick" condition
    • few overlap conditions
    • a single large image (1.8 mb)
    • plugins: cranberry iap/revmob
    • cordova/intel XDK (CLI 5.1) *Edited
    • events organized in groups
    • screen size 854 x 480 **Edited

Performance:

Web (Chrome): 72 fps

Samsung Tab4 SM T230NU: 3 fps

Samsung Tab PRO SM T320: 11 fps

Motorola Moto G: 12 fps

iPhone 6s: 70 fps

• [quote:2rqbltfn]A simple game with different performances. Why it happens?

Your devices have Android-Versions <5 and you don't use Crosswalk.

The GPUs of your devices are blacklisted.

• Your devices have Android-Versions <5 and you don't use Crosswalk.

The GPUs of your devices are blacklisted.

Asmodean,

Moto G uses Android v. 5.1. Did you verified if its GPU, specifically, is blacklisted?

Why I cannot use Crosswalk? I always used crosswalk with the previous android version without problem. What has changed?

Change the CLI can solve it? (5.1 >> 4.2) or it's a fact that my game will not run smoothly on earlier versions?

• RenatoB

You asked why that happend and I give you the most frequently reasons. If that are the reasons that cause your problems, I can't say.

You didn't write you use crosswalk, so I suggest you did not. I don't say that you can't use crosswalk only that if you don't use it with Android-Version lesser than 5 the performance can be sluggish.

If you use chrome on android and use chrome://gpu as an URL you could see if WebGL is enabled. Is it not enabled your GPU is in the blacklist.

• If you use chrome on android and use chrome://gpu as an URL you could see if WebGL is enabled. Is it not enabled your GPU is in the blacklist.

Thanks,

The option WebGL shows as "Hardware accelerated" for all devices of my list. Only the "Multiple Raster Threads" option shows as disabled.

• use cocoon.io and canvas+ :

• smaller size
    • smaller ram requirement (so goodbye force close)
    • better performance
    • cordova plugins

it's amazing !

• Hmm, if you use crosswalk and the GPUs on your Android Devices are not in the blacklist, then the problem has to be your game.

What you can try is your game in Chrome on Android as web-game. It should be as fast or slow as the apk, then you can eliminate the possibility of a problem with Intel XDK.

The other thing I notice is the single large image (1.8 mb). What is the size?

This could be a problem. Ashley wrote about that.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory

• use cocoon.io and canvas+ :

- smaller size

- smaller ram requirement (so goodbye force close)

- better performance

- cordova plugins

it's amazing !

mahdi71

Cocoon is cool... said no one ever

I tried to use cocoon but I really don't want a splash screen of other company in my game and I don't agree to pay $ 500 for each application to remove it. I respect its position and I try not to create gossip about it, but I think that restriction must be vinculated to the free plan, but even I paying a signature monthly I am forced to display their logo (or pay $500). The strange thing is that I payed no more than 2/3 of this value and once, to buy the program used to produce the entire game. If I have to show the splash screen of another company, I prefer to show the Scirra's logo.

I still have hope that the Intel XDK for Android will be improved, as well as already happens to build iOS applications.

• Hmm, if you use crosswalk and the GPUs on your Android Devices are not in the blacklist, then the problem has to be your game.

I think if the game has a problem why it runs smoothly in the web browser and also through the iPhone's application? I think the XDK is the problem and, in this case, and maybe I have nothing to do, except to use cocoon.io (no way) or give up to publish the game for android devices (or even to give up to use C2 and wait for C3).

The other thing I notice is the single large image (1.8 mb). What is the size?

This could be a problem. Ashley wrote about that.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory

I have read it. Just an image has this size and its resolution is 854x480, but I'll try to do some tests, removing or changing something to optimise it.

• [quote:3e83ys0l]I think if the game has a problem why it runs smoothly in the web browser and also through the iPhone's application?

That baffles me and yes, if the game is faster in the browser on your device than an apk, the problem has to be Intels XDK.

You could try on your Moto G with Android 5.1 to make an App in the XDK without Crosswalk and see if this makes a change. So you can see if its a problem with Crosswalk.

Do you use Cordova plugins? Maybe one plugin cause a problem.

• interesting if you're using your 1 image of fullscreen size and you're moving it around don't expect on most phones more then 10 fps.

here's how:

different phones have different graphics chips.

lumia & most androids - Adreno 200-400 - around 130 - 300M fillrate (pixels per second! )

iphone has PowerVR graphics - they have huge fillrates - 1G fillrate - even the old weak ones.

desktop PC - around 200+ Gtexels (but let's take the PC out of equation, everything will work on pc

so... you've created your graphics where you do something with your 854 x 480 single image

let's calculate the fillrate with that image:

853x480x32 = 13117440

now let's see how much fps can we get on each of our phones:

lumia and androids - with adreno (let's take the best one - 300M) = 300 000 000 / 13117440 = 22,87 FPS - on the strongest adreno, since you got ~ 10 fps, i guess it's adreno 200 which has 130M fillrate which gives us 130 000 000 / 13117440 = ~10 fps

iphone - 1G fillrate - 1 000 000 000 / 13117440 = ~76,23 fps - which is a good performance.

therefore conclusion - the problem is not your hardware, it's your game and the things you want to do. therefore you didn't really understand what ashley wrote in "not to waste memory" article..

also a bit more math - if you want to fill your space with moving objects - if they are 50x50 pixels - you can have them 1250 to work fluidly on every phone ~100M

fillrate

the only thing i'm not sure 100% is if that is for 1 frame / s, or 60 frames /s, because if it's for 1, then for 60 you get ~ 21 object max

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That baffles me and yes, if the game is faster in the browser on your device than an apk, the problem has to be Intels XDK.

You could try on your Moto G with Android 5.1 to make an App in the XDK without Crosswalk and see if this makes a change. So you can see if its a problem with Crosswalk.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

[quote:2sran7t6]Do you use Cordova plugins? Maybe one plugin cause a problem.

plugins: cranberry iap/revmob

I believe that phonegap/cordova cli to build the application may be the solution. I've tried it and though the process is complicated, I got it. But when I opened the xcode file, I found tons of errors. After to fix almost all of them and generated the IPA file, the ads plugin and the splash screen didn't work, but the rest worked well. I wish I could count with a good tutorial about phonegap / cordova cli, but unfortunately, who knows the process doesn't want or doesn't has a free time to share.

• > use cocoon.io and canvas+ :

> - smaller size

> - smaller ram requirement (so goodbye force close)

> - better performance

> - cordova plugins

> it's amazing !

>

mahdi71

Cocoon is cool... said no one ever

I tried to use cocoon but I really don't want a splash screen of other company in my game and I don't agree to pay $ 500 for each application to remove it. I respect its position and I try not to create gossip about it, but I think that restriction must be vinculated to the free plan, but even I paying a signature monthly I am forced to display their logo (or pay $500). The strange thing is that I payed no more than 2/3 of this value and once, to buy the program used to produce the entire game. If I have to show the splash screen of another company, I prefer to show the Scirra's logo.

I still have hope that the Intel XDK for Android will be improved, as well as already happens to build iOS applications.

why you dont like they splash ?! it doesn't matter because even in big games the big companies use other companies splashes

if you don't want people think cocoon made your game so you can have another splash for you (or your company mark) after cocoon splash

• interesting if you're using your 1 image of fullscreen size and you're moving it around don't expect on most phones more then 10 fps.

saiyadjin

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Sorry.

The image with 854x480 px is a static one. I'm using it as background. The image that I'm moving with the aid of the bullet behaviour has 61x61 pixels.

• plugins: cranberry iap/revmob

I believe that phonegap/cordova cli to build the application may be the solution. I've tried it and though the process is complicated, I got it. But when I opened the xcode file, I found tons of errors. After to fix almost all of them and generated the IPA file, the ads plugin and the splash screen didn't work, but the rest worked well. I wish I could count with a good tutorial about phonegap / cordova cli, but unfortunately, who knows the process doesn't want or doesn't has a free time to share.[/quot]

You're talking about the iPhone-Version? And that version works great and has no (working) ads-plugin?

Did you tried to remove the ads-plugin in the Android-Version and looks If that helps?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)