A simple game with different performances. Why it happens?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:18 pm

interesting if you're using your 1 image of fullscreen size and you're moving it around don't expect on most phones more then 10 fps.

here's how:

different phones have different graphics chips.
lumia & most androids - Adreno 200-400 - around 130 - 300M fillrate (pixels per second! )
iphone has PowerVR graphics - they have huge fillrates - 1G fillrate - even the old weak ones.
desktop PC - around 200+ Gtexels (but let's take the PC out of equation, everything will work on pc :)

so... you've created your graphics where you do something with your 854 x 480 single image

let's calculate the fillrate with that image:
853x480x32 = 13117440

now let's see how much fps can we get on each of our phones:

lumia and androids - with adreno (let's take the best one - 300M) = 300 000 000 / 13117440 = 22,87 FPS - on the strongest adreno, since you got ~ 10 fps, i guess it's adreno 200 which has 130M fillrate which gives us 130 000 000 / 13117440 = ~10 fps
iphone - 1G fillrate - 1 000 000 000 / 13117440 = ~76,23 fps - which is a good performance.

therefore conclusion - the problem is not your hardware, it's your game and the things you want to do. therefore you didn't really understand what ashley wrote in "not to waste memory" article..

also a bit more math - if you want to fill your space with moving objects - if they are 50x50 pixels - you can have them 1250 to work fluidly on every phone ~100M
fillrate

the only thing i'm not sure 100% is if that is for 1 frame / s, or 60 frames /s, because if it's for 1, then for 60 you get ~ 21 object max :)
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Asmodean wrote:That baffles me and yes, if the game is faster in the browser on your device than an apk, the problem has to be Intels XDK.

You could try on your Moto G with Android 5.1 to make an App in the XDK without Crosswalk and see if this makes a change. So you can see if its a problem with Crosswalk.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Do you use Cordova plugins? Maybe one plugin cause a problem.

plugins: cranberry iap/revmob

I believe that phonegap/cordova cli to build the application may be the solution. I've tried it and though the process is complicated, I got it. But when I opened the xcode file, I found tons of errors. After to fix almost all of them and generated the IPA file, the ads plugin and the splash screen didn't work, but the rest worked well. I wish I could count with a good tutorial about phonegap / cordova cli, but unfortunately, who knows the process doesn't want or doesn't has a free time to share.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:57 pm

RenatoB wrote:
mahdi71 wrote:use cocoon.io and canvas+ :
- smaller size
- smaller ram requirement (so goodbye force close)
- better performance
- cordova plugins
it's amazing !

@mahdi71

Cocoon is cool... said no one ever :?

I tried to use cocoon but I really don't want a splash screen of other company in my game and I don't agree to pay $ 500 for each application to remove it. I respect its position and I try not to create gossip about it, but I think that restriction must be vinculated to the free plan, but even I paying a signature monthly I am forced to display their logo (or pay $500). The strange thing is that I payed no more than 2/3 of this value and once, to buy the program used to produce the entire game. If I have to show the splash screen of another company, I prefer to show the Scirra's logo.

I still have hope that the Intel XDK for Android will be improved, as well as already happens to build iOS applications.

why you dont like they splash ?! it doesn't matter because even in big games the big companies use other companies splashes
if you don't want people think cocoon made your game so you can have another splash for you (or your company mark) after cocoon splash
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:01 pm

saiyadjin wrote:interesting if you're using your 1 image of fullscreen size and you're moving it around don't expect on most phones more then 10 fps.

@saiyadjin

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Sorry.

The image with 854x480 px is a static one. I'm using it as background. The image that I'm moving with the aid of the bullet behaviour has 61x61 pixels.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:26 pm

[quote="RenatoB"]

I believe that phonegap/cordova cli to build the application may be the solution. I've tried it and though the process is complicated, I got it. But when I opened the xcode file, I found tons of errors. After to fix almost all of them and generated the IPA file, the ads plugin and the splash screen didn't work, but the rest worked well. I wish I could count with a good tutorial about phonegap / cordova cli, but unfortunately, who knows the process doesn't want or doesn't has a free time to share.[/quot]

You're talking about the iPhone-Version? And that version works great and has no (working) ads-plugin?
Did you tried to remove the ads-plugin in the Android-Version and looks If that helps?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:27 pm

RenatoB wrote:

I believe that phonegap/cordova cli to build the application may be the solution. I've tried it and though the process is complicated, I got it. But when I opened the xcode file, I found tons of errors. After to fix almost all of them and generated the IPA file, the ads plugin and the splash screen didn't work, but the rest worked well. I wish I could count with a good tutorial about phonegap / cordova cli, but unfortunately, who knows the process doesn't want or doesn't has a free time to share.

You're talking about the iPhone-Version? And that version works great and has no (working) ads-plugin?
Did you tried to remove the ads-plugin in the Android-Version and looks If that helps?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Asmodean wrote:You're talking about the iPhone-Version?

I tried to use cordova cli to build an IPA because it is easier for me.

And that version works great and has no (working) ads-plugin?

I'm talking about the process. If the plugins didn't worked, as the splash screen also, is because I don't know the whole process. Maybe an expert could clarify it for us.

I didn't try it so far especially because I really need these plugins. Maybe I'll try it just for curiosity.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General