A Small Robot Story (DEMO AVAILABLE) | Dev Log

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:13 am

Got the opening cutscene along with some level design done today. No big hangups; just slowly learning the quickest and most efficient way to do things.

Taking a break this weekend since I'll be participating in my first Ludum Dare Jam! I'll be sure to post whatever I finish.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Level 1 design for my demo. A sketch (obviously). I'm ironing out a few more issues (adding families to existing events, smooth transitions) but then I'm going to start laying down the basic objects for the levels so I can test them and see if it's at all fun. I'm also considering changing the name of the game since it's pretty vague.

//rant!//
I spend a ton of time digging through the forums and I constantly run in to those long threads about how C2 needs a native exporter or some such. They all sing the same song and, to be honest, it almost made me ditch C2 entirely the first month I picked it up. I personally don't have the knowledge or experience to make a solid judgement on the issue. But I made my first *completed* game this weekend for Ludum Dare 33 and I had a blast. So I'm liking C2. A lot. I'm just curious if there is the opposite crowd out there. Plugging away at their games and enjoying it and generally seeing success with what they're trying to accomplish.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:03 pm

// Brief update //
Switched all of my enemies over to families. Definitely cut a bunch of my code down by a ton and organized everything nicely.

Then I discovered this thread and @Tokinsom 's way of using functions with families. I knew that I needed to learn functions and UID's. I struggled with it for a few days and then over the weekend while on vacation with some friends, I sat down with my friend who does a lot of coding professionally. He immediately picked up on C2's syntax and helped me sort out calling a function, passing a long a variable, and having it affect a specific enemy. This cut down my code by at least 10 events! My friend explained how it would be a lot less "expensive" than how I had everything before.

Things are moving smoothly now. All enemies are functional, player is 90% functional (just needs a death animation). Art for the demo is mostly done (just need enemy art). I've sketched out the entire first level design and plan to start laying out the basics in the new few weeks.

// Name change //
I'm going to change the name of the game at some point. "Tomorrow" is just too vague and a poor marketing choice IMO. It is what we originally called it back in 2004, but it just doesn't make sense to anyone who doesn't have a connection to that time period. I was thinking something like "A Small Robot Story" but that's probably too cutesy :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:58 pm

stylish!
im using Dictionary for dialogues in my game, with a lot of tokenat. pretty easy and versatile -- not exactly finalfantasy, mind you -- but works for simple introductory utterances...
i say the thing with the main chara is colours rather than design... these subtle shades of gray, feels a bit too smooth, against the more severe, 8bitish bckground. try to contrast it up?
keeps me wondering about the music for some reason :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:43 pm

@megalocrator The main character design is just placeholder for now. It definitely needs to be thicker and have more weight to it. Thanks for the crit!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:12 pm

I - NEED - TO - TEST - THIS
RIGHT NAOOO!

srsly is there a demo for me to test ?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:50 pm

@burningcake Thanks for the enthusiasm!

I'm working on the demo right now. The demo will consist of the entire first level and will be free/PWYW. I'll update the first post of this thread when it's set. I'm hoping for the beginning of October.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Keycard + door system, jump-thru platforms, insta-kill gear, and life battery w/ particles.

Just a few bugs to tweak and then I start level layout. Most of it is sketches out but I imagine it will go quickly. Plus I'm a graphic designer by trade, so laying out art on grid sounds like a dream to me :geek: Once that is set, I need to do enemy art and then sounds. Still a chunk of work, but the work that is left is stuff I've done before (music and art) so it should go quickly!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Quick video of enemy particle explosion.

Tried my hand at enemy particle explosions. It's about 70% there? I think I still need a animation underneath to kind of 'anchor' the whole event. For demo purposes, this is good enough!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:27 pm

it looks interesting! I'd like to test it if there is a link..
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests