A Small Robot Story (DEMO AVAILABLE) | Dev Log

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Decided to make the cave color palette purple. Definitely feels more like what I want. Also made the background animated which is a first so far in this game. This about wraps up tile art for Level 2 - "Maynard Falls". Get to start programming new enemies this week!

One note: the animated background is actually an animated sprite. C2 doesn't allow animated tilemaps or tiled backgrounds. So, unfortunately, I'm copying and pasting the same animated sprite. Now I know this is a "no-no" but I *may* be able to get away with it. My resolution is only 256x144, I'm using small images and parallax so I may need to only copy the image 3-4 times per layout. Only an export will truly tell and I don't feel comfortable doing that until I have a whole layout designed. We'll see!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:47 pm

is it just the waterfall portion that's animated? or is it the whole background itself? that purple is looking pretty dope.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:47 pm

mudmask wrote:is it just the waterfall portion that's animated? or is it the whole background itself? that purple is looking pretty dope.

Thanks! The whole "far" background image is the animated sprite. However just the waterfall portion of that art is animated.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:04 pm

The view in that gif looks good at least. The no copying thing is pretty much a result of modern stronger systems that allow variety so this is a nice peek to past when things were a bit different :) By the way, Will you be waiting with the next playable release until the game is complete or will you be releasing other demos in between?
Have a happy day!
- Markus Lappalainen, Composer & Audio Engineer
Open for commissions!

For Hire Thread | LinkedIn | SoundCloud
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:22 pm

@taistelusopuli I'll be holding off until the game is complete for a release. I want to try and push it through the Greenlight process while still in development.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:03 am

Sounds like a plan to me :) Good luck with the Greenlight!
Have a happy day!
- Markus Lappalainen, Composer & Audio Engineer
Open for commissions!

For Hire Thread | LinkedIn | SoundCloud
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:47 am

Still cranking away!

Bat enemy = bullet and sine behavior. Instance variable (range) checked against player's x and y vs. bat's x and y. When less than, enemy fires. TL;DR = you get close and the bat shoots at you. Basic art; needs to be tweaked.

Hopper enemy. Every 1.5 seconds > emulate jump and pick random jump strength from 50-200. Placeholder art.

Need to bust out one more enemy, possibly a duck and shooter. Potentially going to make some variations on Level 1 enemies too. Hoping to finish up enemies by the end of Feb, then level design along with dialogue scenes.

Still trying to decide how to end Level 2. Level 1 ends with a boss fight but I'm thinking of a puzzle. I know Level 2 closes with a bit of a story dump, so I kind of want to portray a different vibe. We'll see!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:02 am

Very good work with graphics, very "cave feeling".
(Maybe do the bat shoot less frequently, or slow down bullets' speed?
It seems a bit too hard to avoid them...)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

@HR78 Possibly but I'm going to hold on for now. If it does become obvious that they're difficult, it's just a matter of changing the instance variable :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:14 am

Impressive! I have a feeling it will go pretty far! :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests