A Small Utility Request

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:17 am

Today I was cleaning up some comments from a project of mine and had a sudden realization: we can't create text flies from within Construct 2. I would really appreciate being able to keep a broader track of problems, solutions, and ideas in my projects. I can do this from within Eclipse and a few other development programs off the top of my head. Why can't I for Construct 2?

Right now I have two options:

* Create a new Event sheet and create a super long comment. This seems wasteful. I know it's only kb in measure, but by doing this new JS is being saved alongside my comments. As someone who loves to optimize their stuff, that is always going to be a nuisance.

* Create a text file and save it elsewhere. If I do this I can't open and modify it within the C2 editor space (as far as I know).

The latter forces me to open it separately alongside my project. Being able to view it within the program whenever I want would be so much better, if only for convenience sake. So is this a doable thing in a future build? How many people would like to see something like this?

If this is already a thing feel free to call me out on it (sorry)! Thanks for reading. :)
B
S

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:31 am

The long comment idea would work. Comments are not in the exported game at all, so it doesn't affect performance or export size, just the capx size.

You could also add a text file to the project. Right click the files folder in the project panel and select "import files". After that you can double click on the file and edit it in your project. Keep in mind it would then be included in the export, but you could always delete it from the exported folder.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 am

R0J0hound wrote:You could also add a text file to the project. Right click the files folder in the project panel and select "import files". After that you can double click on the file and edit it in your project. Keep in mind it would then be included in the export, but you could always delete it from the exported folder.

I can't believe I didn't know this. Thanks, man!
B
S

Return to Construct 2 General