AAC and M4A Audio Files (Construct R50)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:26 pm

To bad you cant just make some browser plugins to play sounds.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 pm

[QUOTE=newt] To bad you cant just make some browser plugins to play sounds.[/QUOTE]

Well, it exists, it's called Flash. ^^
Doh...
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:37 pm

[QUOTE=newt] To bad you cant just make some browser plugins to play sounds.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to download the 'sound files' when you open a game, and play them from the hard drive ?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:51 pm

@Kyatric
Well I mean a full fledged non proprietary plug.

@chrisbrobs
Perhaps with Java, but that's even more limiting. Or some one could maybe make a plug for FireFox, but sol for other browsers.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 pm

The sounds and background music in GameSalad online games seem "normal" compared to Flash games (you'd swear their games are Flash if you didn't right-click and see the regular browser menu).

Anybody know how they're doing their sounds?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:20 pm

The purpose/advantage of HTML5 is supposedly to have everything you need in the browser without further downloading required (apart from the game assets themselves).
Adding an audio plugin would defeat this purpose.

Maybe, in the vein of what Tom said previously, launching a kind of petition to make pressure on the browsers company so they :
* Implement the missing formats
OR
* Agree on some audio standard that all browsers would implement

I'm not sure there's so much money to be made out of audio and video formats (even if some companies have made) as it is involved with another standard (HTML5). This defeats the profit of standardisation and won't help a browser to win over the others. On the contrary, I'd dare say that the first browser to have the most formats supported might be a winner.

Also, by not providing a decent and compatible single audio format those browsers push the unnecessary use of more internet bandwith (not having a single audio format supported leads to the multiplication of audio files (to cover the clients' browser audio support possibilities))

@bigcatrik, I don't know if it the case for this peculiar website but I've encountered html5 libraries whose audio support was based on flash (counting on the major deployment that flash is still enjoying).Kyatric2011-07-27 16:22:24
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Internet Explorer has OK sound support - it does cache files after the first time it's loaded. Firefox and Chrome have new audio APIs which are separate to the audio tag that I'm using right now. It's possible to use those Firefox and Chrome specific audio APIs to get good playback. It's a bit of a waste of time, though, to do all that just because Chrome and Firefox have terrible caching. I guess Gamesalad have gone that way.

What has the internet come to when IE works and you have to add special workarounds for Firefox and Chrome??!! :S
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:47 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley]What has the internet come to when IE works and you have to add special workarounds for Firefox and Chrome??!! :S[/QUOTE]

Heh
Yeah it only took em like six years to add proper png support, and now they're ahead of everyone else, and not shoving silverlight down our throats.
Isn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse?
Image Image
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General