About CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom

All closed bug reports are moved here.

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:40 pm

CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom is an already existing 'mouse gesture' in Chrome, and i use it a lot.

It is nice that it works in the events sheets editor. Well, of course it just another average Chrome page.
It was already present in the old (c2) debugger/preview. Well, of course it just another average Chrome page. Not that i ever used it in there.

But now, in the layout editor, this CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom is (Chrome wise) a totally new function. In fact it is 'stealing' a Chrome's default function away. This is confusing, to me.

I perceive this as a bug. Sorry to say so. (it is kinda annoying)
Either disable the default CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom everywhere and allow only a CTRL+Mouse Wheel to perform a zoom C3 wise, or keep the Chrome default CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom and make a different one for zooming in the layout. With SHIFT maybe ?

ALT+Mouse Wheel is already by default in use by chrome for scrolling up/down (works nice in the event sheets editor)
SHIFT+ALT+Mouse Wheel is already by default in use by chrome for scrolling left/right (works nice in the layout editor)

Additional, for others having problems with zooming during preview, return to 100% with CTRL + zero.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:44 am

This is by design. We have consciously overridden a number of browser features. For example F5 normally reloads the page, but in C3 it previews your project like it did in C2. I think this is a pretty obvious case since I doubt anyone wants a common C2 shortcut to suddenly reload the editor and risk losing all their work!

The same applies for Ctrl+Mouse wheel in my opinion. It's a common shortcut used in a number of apps, and it makes it easier for C2 users to use C3 if it's the same. Additionally changing the browser zoom while C3 is open is a bit hacky since a number of things like the icon rendering are dependent on a constant zoom level, so if you change the browser zoom C3 will prompt to tell you that you need to reload C3 for everything to display correctly. So it's not a very useful shortcut even to change the browser zoom.

It doesn't block you changing the browser zoom: you can still do that from the browser menu. For example you can scale to 150% and reload, and C3 should appropriately scale all UI elements to be larger. This is also a deliberate feature that C3 respects the browser zoom level so you can adjust the UI scale as you prefer.

So I do understand that it's possibly annoying sometimes that a browser shortcut doesn't work, but we need to find a balance between functionality, common shortcuts, and practicality. I don't think it's worth re-enabling these specific shortcuts for the reasons outlined above, so I think we won't change this I'm afraid.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Ty for the in depth explanation. Say, i will (and i have to) cope with it.

Yet.

There is 1 situation where it is really not elegant.

CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom should zoom (c3 wise) the layout, when in the layout tab (by design)
CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom should zoom (Chrome wise), when in the events tab (by default Chrome)

So far, lets have fun coding and adapt.

BUT. Now.

In preview/debug ...
... the CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom acts chrome wise in preview window (if that window is in focus).
And at the same time it is also acts chrome wise in the layout (when on layout tab), and that is not according the (well explained) design choice.

I am happy to agree with you that the CTRL+Mouse Wheel zoom should always act as designed in the layout window, and never zoom chrome wise.

Said that, reading between the lines in your answer, i suppose there is no real solution (other then rewrite Chrome yourself)
B
S
G

Return to Closed Bugs