About the jerkiness on the movement...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:06 pm

@UberLou,

I hear you. I've been watching both of the bug reports and the problem has been acknowledged by Mozilla and Google. Mozilla devs think that 'project silk' will rectify this problem for Firefox - time will tell. The Google devs are looking into what's become broken in the later releases of Chrome - it is manifesting as an inconsistent adherence to vsync which causes the dt variations talked about in this thread and some other issues (the bug report makes a good read). I'm confident that this will get fixed, especially for Chrome. When I lose heart I export to Node Webkit, which is based on an older version of the chromium engine that was not broken - it's as smooth as a smooth thing... Chrome Canary is pretty darn good as well (but not perfect...).
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Unfortunately, the initial fix to Canary (lock to system v-sync on windows) has been reverted.

Performance currently seems inconsistent...when I first tested a couple projects today, it was halting and jerking worse than ever...almost as bad as firefox. Now, after running a couple more times, performance seems pretty good. I suppose, being alpha, that's to be expected.

@UberLou

The way I look at it is this: many of the movers and shakers in tech are moving toward 'run anywhere' applications, cloud apps are becoming more and more common, and the web is getting visually richer all the time. The issues we're dealing with may have been peripheral in the past, but not anymore.

Browser makers are becoming very focused on performance, and as such, I think issues like these will continue to take on increasing priority. In respect to 'jerky' movement, IE is currently kicking Chrome and FF in their metaphorical arse. That won't last.

tl;dr: Project Silk was not a response to a few C2 devs complaining that their 'Flappy Jack' epic was not up to speed.

Even talented teams working with high-budget engines have to deal with glitches and bugs...seen the recent coverage on Assassin's Creed?
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Colludium wrote:When I lose heart I export to Node Webkit, which is based on an older version of the chromium engine that was not broken - it's as smooth as a smooth thing...

thanks for this, I'm trying to make a video of my game and the screen stutters are so incredibly annoying. NW runs so much better!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:18 pm

@Colludium
Node-Webkit doesn't fix the issue. Putting a simple 1 frame sprite with platform behavior and running back and forth causes random jitter. Tested on multiple PCs.

@TiAm
We differ from the Assassins Creed dev because they chose not to fix the issues. We have to wait for a possible fix from a third party.

I'll wait and see what happens, but I'll be checking out Stencyl in the meantime. It's tough to wait for a fix that might never come while another engine runs high res games perfectly right now.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Oh wow, the lastest node webkit update (coming with C2 r188 beta) = Hiccups everywhere, ugly ugly ugly! T__T

Both in preview or exported mode.

Rolling back to r187 , but how do I get the previous NW build? (I don't know the name of the NW previous build, which was working nicely for my game)

http://www.scirra.com/node-webkit only provides the lastest one : )

Thanks!
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:15 pm

@Aurel, @UberLou, ,

Chromium 38 certainly is a problem and the move to update NW is not going to help... @Ashley, can I request a roll back to the previous version of NW until Google sort this problem out, unless updating it fixes a bunch of other problems (that I'm not aware of)?

As an aside, this is such a problem that I am seriously considering building using r187 and NW for the forthcoming Ludum Dare comp....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:39 pm

There is no link to the old version of node? I thought the idea of making node modular was partly to deal with this very contingency?

...ah, it looks like only the new version can export 64 bit binaries, so older versions are blocked.

We need 64 bit...why? Whose game is using more than 4GB of memory?

@Ashley

Please, please revert this for the next stable...chrominium 38 (and thus, node-webkit v0.11.0) has totally nerfed performance.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:47 pm

@Colludium

How do your graphs come out in the new node vs. the old version?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:07 pm

@TiAm,

I never thought to check that before.... Here is the result of running the test in NW using r187 (I am using my phone as a modem and will not get access to the new release for a few hours).

@eli0s - these results might interest you! I have no idea what to make of this - even though it's super-smooth on my game, it appears that the reported dt values are rounded....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:17 pm

Hmmm...that couldn't be right...could it?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General