About the jerkiness on the movement...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 am

runs fine for me. Ultra smooth in fullscreen. No real jitter no matter what I do to it. At least not like what I was experiencing.
Developing Surolace, the survival role playing space game.

surolace-survival-role-playing-space-game_t116953
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:55 am

skelooth wrote:... At least not like what I was experiencing.

You mean what you were experiencing with my example or with any capx that runs with webGL disabled..?
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:09 am

I agree that it it doesn't look like the end of the world, but it does detract from an otherwise glossy performance. A quick visit to various html5 gaming sites and I cannot find any examples of other games that exhibit this sort of stuttering problem...

What I found interesting in trying to set up that little example is that the jitter didn't seem to get any worse even if I went mad and created dozens of extra sprites - so there was little difference when I had 500 dynamic objects bouncing around or 50.

What I find frustrating is that when there's a ludicrous amount going on, the player is less likely to notice any jitter because they will be focussed on other movements, but when there are just a handful of sprites on screen, any jitter to the scrolling background (ie the player's movement when scrolled to) really stands out.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:22 am

Well, I've reported an issue about jitter movement on my ARPG game long time ago, then no one cares until this thread.

I know a way to get pure performance is about monitor resolution, besides you can resize browser window to small like 400 x 300, you get perfect 60 fps and smooth movement, there a 10% chance of getting spike lag in every tick due to GC.

Otherwise, the bigger canvas screen is upscaled to 1920 x 1080 it would cause jitter and frequently spike lags. So HTML5 is not perfect for gaming.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:34 am

Not sure about this "jittery movement" (numerous threads on it already...usually linked to low resolution, pixel rounding, etc.) but I do occasionally get "performance / lag spikes" in every one of my projects, and they are potentially game-breaking.

Construct Classic had the same problem and I'm pretty sure the consensus was that it had to do with garbage collection.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:40 am

Yes, small window res and letterbox integer scale can certainly reduce the jitter, but my laptop will quite happily play GTA at resolutions that make a C2 platform game appear like it is being rendered on 1980s technology.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:42 am

Tokinsom wrote:Not sure about this "jittery movement" (numerous threads on it already...usually linked to low resolution, pixel rounding, etc.) but I do occasionally get "performance / lag spikes" in every one of my projects, and they are potentially game-breaking.

Construct Classic had the same problem and I'm pretty sure the consensus was that it had to do with garbage collection.

I'm pretty satisfied with those explanations. To be honest I think everything functions fantastic for the most part. It exceeds every one of my expectations at least.

B
S

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:44 am

Colludium wrote:Yes, small window res and letterbox integer scale can certainly reduce the jitter, but my laptop will quite happily play GTA at resolutions that make a C2 platform game appear like it is being rendered on 1980s technology.

That is a really "unfair" comparison. If you would like to develop GTA quality games you will need to find or license an engine that is meant for that type of game.

However, if you wanted to make GTA1 or GTA2, then construct2 is probably a better choice than a 3d engine.

Right tool for the right job. You can't fault a hammer for not being a good screwdriver.

B
S

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:42 am

i runned the exmaple, and no jerkiness reported here, but i have notice it from time to time.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:20 am

I found the jerkiness to be more evident in @eli0s example. It is very clear, there is nothing that can cause a CPU or GPU slowness, but you can notice the square "trembling" from time to time.

I have also noticed it in my games... And it doesn´t look good.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General